Sunday, June 21, 2015

Be Still


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/062115.cfm) reminds me that in times of trouble, we should be still and have faith In God.

There was a time when I was applying for a job that I felt so scared. I did not feel confident because I was applying for a job different from what I was doing then, then I was told that I would be interviewed not only by the immediate head, but her head as well. I was new to community at this time, and while I was waiting to be interviewed, I suddenly remembered the song “still.” It was one of the new songs I learned, and at that time, it just meant to much to remember how God is in control of everything, and we just have to be still and trust in him.

Being still in times of trouble is a sign of great faith in God.

In the gospel, Jesus was on a boat with his disciples when they encountered a violent storm. It must be so strong, since the disciples were mostly fishermen, yet they were so afraid they woke up Jesus. They may have lacked faith, but they had faith in him, since they knew Jesus can help them in the situation they are in. and eventually, Jesus calmed the storm.

Jesus is asking us the same question he asked his disciples – why are you terrified? Do you not have faith?

Sometimes, we get overwhelmed by problems in this life. Sometimes we get stressed with the things happening around us. Jesus is telling us to be still and have faith in him. If we have faith, we will not have time to be terrified or troubled. If we know how much God loves us, and how powerful he is, then no storm in life can bother us.

May we be inspired by the gospel, and be challenged and moved to build and strengthen our relationship with Jesus. Our relationship with Jesus directly affects our faith. As we get to know him more, as we experience his love and power, then our faith will be stronger. May we do our part, and seek him in prayer, bible reading and the sacraments to solidify our faith and relationship with him.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for reminding me of your great love and power. Sorry for the times I act like the disciples. Sorry for the times I get so stressed and scared of what is happening around me. sorry for the times that I know you are there beside me, but I still feel scared and stressed. Sorry for not having enough faith in you. help me strengthen my faith and relationship with you. I will do my part and read the bible, pray more, and take the sacraments, and I ask you to help me. strengthen my faith in you. may I always be still in times of trouble, knowing that you are always there protecting me. amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

----------------------------------------------------------
June 21, 2015
Twelfth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 95


Reading 1 Jb 38:1, 8-11
The Lord addressed Job out of the storm and said:
Who shut within doors the sea,
when it burst forth from the womb;
when I made the clouds its garment
and thick darkness its swaddling bands?
When I set limits for it
and fastened the bar of its door,
and said: Thus far shall you come but no farther,
and here shall your proud waves be stilled!


Responsorial Psalm Ps 107:23-24, 25-26, 28-29, 30-31
R. (1b) Give thanks to the Lord, his love is everlasting.
or:
R. Alleluia.
They who sailed the sea in ships,
trading on the deep waters,
These saw the works of the LORD
and his wonders in the abyss.
R. Give thanks to the Lord, his love is everlasting.
or:
R. Alleluia.
His command raised up a storm wind
which tossed its waves on high.
They mounted up to heaven; they sank to the depths;
their hearts melted away in their plight.
R. Give thanks to the Lord, his love is everlasting.
or:
R. Alleluia.
They cried to the LORD in their distress;
from their straits he rescued them,
He hushed the storm to a gentle breeze,
and the billows of the sea were stilled.
R. Give thanks to the Lord, his love is everlasting.
or:
R. Alleluia.
They rejoiced that they were calmed,
and he brought them to their desired haven.
Let them give thanks to the LORD for his kindness
and his wondrous deeds to the children of men.
R. Give thanks to the Lord, his love is everlasting.
or:
R. Alleluia.


Reading 2 2 Cor 5:14-17
Brothers and sisters:
The love of Christ impels us,
once we have come to the conviction that one died for all;
therefore, all have died.
He indeed died for all,
so that those who live might no longer live for themselves
but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

Consequently, from now on we regard no one according to the flesh;
even if we once knew Christ according to the flesh,
yet now we know him so no longer.
So whoever is in Christ is a new creation:
the old things have passed away;
behold, new things have come.


Alleluia Lk 7:16
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
A great prophet has risen in our midst,
God has visited his people.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel Mk 4:35-41
On that day, as evening drew on, Jesus said to his disciples:
“Let us cross to the other side.”
Leaving the crowd, they took Jesus with them in the boat just as he was.
And other boats were with him.
A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat,
so that it was already filling up.
Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion.
They woke him and said to him,
“Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?”
He woke up,
rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Quiet! Be still!”
The wind ceased and there was great calm.
Then he asked them, “Why are you terrified?
Do you not yet have faith?”
They were filled with great awe and said to one another,
“Who then is this whom even wind and sea obey?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...