Saturday, May 7, 2016

Improve, not Embarrass


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/050716.cfm) reminds me that I should aim to improve others and not embarrass them for their shortcomings. 

Teachers have different ways of reaching out to their students. Some teachers prefer to embarrass those who do not know a lot, either in the desire to show themselves as superior, or forcibly make the students study more to avoid further embarrassment. Others however, are patient with their students.  They take time out to reach out and explain to the students who are having a hard time. They do their best to reach out, inspire, and eventually improve the students. This is how God wants us to act as we reach out to others. 

We should aim to improve others, not embarrass them. 

In the first reading, we see Apollos doing God's work. However, he did not know everything. He did not understand everything. And when Priscilla and Aquila saw this, instead of embarrassing him and making him feel he do not know what he is talking about, they took him aside and explained things to him. They improved him. And because if this, he was able to do greater things for God. 

We should treat others with love. There are times when people may be annoying, that you just want to make them feel they are wrong and you are right. However, God wants us to be gentle. God wants us to be patient. And God wants us to improve others, not embarrass them. As we do this, we are serving God. We are equipping others to serve God better. And we are glorifying God. 

May we be reminded to see others with eyes of love, and work to improve and not embarrass others. 

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I lose my temper on others. Sorry for the times I don't take time out to improve them. Help me see them as you do. Help me see them with eyes of love. Use me to improve others. As I focus on loving them and helping them and improving them, I know I am doing these things to you as well. Amen. 

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 7, 2016
Lectionary: 296
Saturday of the Sixth Week of Easter



Reading 1 Acts 18:23-28


After staying in Antioch some time,
Paul left and traveled in orderly sequence
through the Galatian country and Phrygia,
bringing strength to all the disciples.

A Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria,
an eloquent speaker, arrived in Ephesus.
He was an authority on the Scriptures.
He had been instructed in the Way of the Lord and,
with ardent spirit, spoke and taught accurately about Jesus,
although he knew only the baptism of John.

He began to speak boldly in the synagogue;
but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him,
they took him aside
and explained to him the Way of God more accurately.

And when he wanted to cross to Achaia,
the brothers encouraged him
and wrote to the disciples there to welcome him.
After his arrival he gave great assistance
to those who had come to believe through grace.
He vigorously refuted the Jews in public,
establishing from the Scriptures that the Christ is Jesus.



Responsorial Psalm PS 47:2-3, 8-9, 10


R. (8a) God is king of all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.
All you peoples, clap your hands;
shout to God with cries of gladness.
For the LORD, the Most High, the awesome,
is the great king over all the earth.
R. God is king of all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.
For king of all the earth is God;
sing hymns of praise.
God reigns over the nations,
God sits upon his holy throne.
R. God is king of all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.
The princes of the peoples are gathered together
with the people of the God of Abraham.
For God’s are the guardians of the earth;
he is supreme.
R. God is king of all the earth.
or:
R. Alleluia.



Alleluia Jn 16:28


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I came from the Father and have come into the world;
now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel Jn 16:23b-28


Jesus said to his disciples:
“Amen, amen, I say to you,
whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.
Until now you have not asked anything in my name;
ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.

“I have told you this in figures of speech.
The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures
but I will tell you clearly about the Father.
On that day you will ask in my name,
and I do not tell you that I will ask the Father for you.
For the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me
and have come to believe that I came from God.
I came from the Father and have come into the world.
Now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...