Sunday, July 17, 2016

Loving Servant


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/071716.cfm) reminds me that service should be done with love. 

Service is good. It is actually one of the love languages. Some people express their love by serving others – especially those they love. We also see that God wants us to serve him through others as a means of expressing our love for Him. He said that “faith without woks is dead,” and we see in the first reading how God rewarded Abraham who served others. 

So why is it that in the gospel, Jesus seemed to favour Mary, who was not serving him? why did Jesus tell Martha that Mary, who was listening to Him, chose the better part?

Service should be done with love

You should be a happy servant. We should be happy as we serve God, because it is our way of telling him we love him. it is one way of expressing our love to him. It is a concrete means of proving Our faith in and love for God. as such, it should not be considered a burden, and should not stress us out – which was what happened to Martha. She was so busy doing the work that she forgot to focus on, and even complained to, the one she should serve.

There is a time for everything. Yes, Jesus needs someone who will attend to their needs, but it is wiser to first focus on Jesus because he will not be around forever. With us, yes, service is important, but we should also have time for spiritual nourishment and rest as we serve. This makes our service more empowered and more effective. This will ground us and put love in our service as we offer it to God. 

May we be reminded to sit down and spend time with God so we can happily serve Him. 


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for continuing to remind me how you want me to live my life. Thank you for reminding me how important and necessary service is. Sorry for the times I serve the wrong way. Sorry for the times I feel burdened and stressed and tired as I Serve. Sorry for losing my focus on you when I serve. I ask that you give me a heart of service -  a heart that would always want to serve you through others. Remind me that my love is concretized by my service. That i should serve happily. I also ask that you remind me to take a break to rest and refresh my body and spirit. Like Mary, may I take time to rest and listen to you. may I work to be nourished by you. May I be a happy servant of you. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 17, 2016
Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 108


Reading 1 Gn 18:1-10a


The LORD appeared to Abraham by the terebinth of Mamre,
as he sat in the entrance of his tent,
while the day was growing hot.
Looking up, Abraham saw three men standing nearby.
When he saw them, he ran from the entrance of the tent to greet them;
and bowing to the ground, he said:
“Sir, if I may ask you this favor,
please do not go on past your servant.
Let some water be brought, that you may bathe your feet,
and then rest yourselves under the tree.
Now that you have come this close to your servant,
let me bring you a little food, that you may refresh yourselves;
and afterward you may go on your way.”
The men replied, “Very well, do as you have said.”

Abraham hastened into the tent and told Sarah,
“Quick, three measures of fine flour! Knead it and make rolls.”
He ran to the herd, picked out a tender, choice steer,
and gave it to a servant, who quickly prepared it.
Then Abraham got some curds and milk,
as well as the steer that had been prepared,
and set these before the three men;
and he waited on them under the tree while they ate.

They asked Abraham, “Where is your wife Sarah?”
He replied, “There in the tent.”
One of them said, “I will surely return to you about this time next year,
and Sarah will then have a son.”



Responsorial Psalm Ps 15:2-3, 3-4, 5


R. (1a) He who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord.
One who walks blamelessly and does justice;
who thinks the truth in his heart
and slanders not with his tongue.
R. He who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord.
Who harms not his fellow man,
nor takes up a reproach against his neighbor;
by whom the reprobate is despised,
while he honors those who fear the LORD.
R. He who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord.
Who lends not his money at usury
and accepts no bribe against the innocent.
One who does these things
shall never be disturbed.
R. He who does justice will live in the presence of the Lord.


Reading 2 Col 1:24-28


Brothers and sisters:
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake,
and in my flesh I am filling up
what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ
on behalf of his body, which is the church,
of which I am a minister
in accordance with God’s stewardship given to me
to bring to completion for you the word of God,
the mystery hidden from ages and from generations past.
But now it has been manifested to his holy ones,
to whom God chose to make known the riches of the glory
of this mystery among the Gentiles;
it is Christ in you, the hope for glory.
It is he whom we proclaim,
admonishing everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom,
that we may present everyone perfect in Christ.



Alleluia cf. Lk 8:15


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed are they who have kept the word with a generous heart
and bring a harvest through perseverance.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel Lk 10:38-42


Jesus entered a village
where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him.
She had a sister named Mary
who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak.
Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said,
“Lord, do you not care
that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving?
Tell her to help me.”
The Lord said to her in reply,
“Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.
There is need of only one thing.
Mary has chosen the better part

and it will not be taken from her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...