Saturday, January 28, 2017

Steady in Faith


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/012817.cfm) reminds me that in times of troubles and challenges, I should be still because of my faith in God. 

There was a time when I was applying for a job and I felt so scared before the interview. I did not feel confident because I was applying for a job different from what I was doing then, then I was told that I would be interviewed not only by the immediate head, but by her head as well. I was new to my faith community at this time, and while I was waiting to be interviewed, I suddenly remembered the song “still". It was one of the first christian songs I learned, and at that time, it just meant to much to remember how God is in control of everything, and we just have to be still and trust in him. It helped relax me a bit, though I was still nervous. Good thing the bosses were both nice during the interview. 

Being still in times of trouble is a sign of great faith in God.

Th first reading shows us one of the definitions of faith that I really like - realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen. Faith nalang, kahit mukhang imposible. Faith nalang, kahit hindi mo makita paano mangyayari. We also see some of the instances this faith was evident - from Abraham, Sarah, and Isaac. 

In the gospel, we see that the disciples did not have this faith yet. Jesus was on a boat with his disciples when they encountered a violent storm. It must be so strong, since the disciples were mostly fishermen, yet they were so afraid they woke up Jesus, a son of a carpenter. How ironic. They may have lacked faith, but they had faith in him, since they knew Jesus can help them in the situation they are in. and eventually, Jesus calmed the storm. 

Jesus is asking us the same question he asked his disciples – why are you terrified? Do you not have faith?

Sometimes, we get overwhelmed by problems in this life. Sometimes we get stressed with the things happening around us. Sometimes we feel prayers cannot do anything with the situation and with powerful people we are faced with. However, Jesus is telling us to be still and have faith in him. To have faith in his love. To have faith in his power. Be steady. Relax. If we have faith, we will not have time to be terrified or troubled. If we know how much God loves us, and how powerful he is, then no storm in life can bother us. We just have to trust him and surrender, and tell him to fight our battles. 

May we be inspired by the gospel, and be challenged and moved to build and strengthen our relationship with Jesus. Our relationship with Jesus directly affects our faith. As we get to know him more, as we experience his love and power, then our faith will be stronger. 

May we do our part and seek God in prayer, bible reading and the sacraments to solidify our faith and relationship with him...so we can be still in times of troubles and challenges.


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for the timely reminder. Thank you for reminding me of your great love and power. Sorry for the times I act like the disciples. Sorry for the times I get so stressed and scared of what is happening around me. sorry for the times that I know you are there beside me, but I still feel scared and stressed. Sorry for not having enough faith in you. help me strengthen my faith and my relationship with you. I will do my part and read the bible, pray more, and take the sacraments, and I ask you to help me strengthen my faith. may I always be still in times of trouble, knowing that you are always there protecting me. I have faith that you are fighting my battles as I surrender to you. And I ask that you surprise me with how powerful and loving and generous you are. amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 28, 2017
Memorial of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Priest and Doctor of the Church
Lectionary: 322



Reading 1 Heb 11:1-2, 8-19


Brothers and sisters:
Faith is the realization of what is hoped for
and evidence of things not seen.
Because of it the ancients were well attested.

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place
that he was to receive as an inheritance;
he went out, not knowing where he was to go.
By faith he sojourned in the promised land as in a foreign country,
dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs of the same promise;
for he was looking forward to the city with foundations,
whose architect and maker is God.
By faith he received power to generate,
even though he was past the normal age
Band Sarah herself was sterileB
for he thought that the one who had made the promise was trustworthy.
So it was that there came forth from one man,
himself as good as dead,
descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky
and as countless as the sands on the seashore.

All these died in faith.
They did not receive what had been promised
but saw it and greeted it from afar
and acknowledged themselves to be strangers and aliens on earth,
for those who speak thus show that they are seeking a homeland.
If they had been thinking of the land from which they had come,
they would have had opportunity to return.
But now they desire a better homeland, a heavenly one.
Therefore, God is not ashamed to be called their God,
for he has prepared a city for them.

By faith Abraham, when put to the test, offered up Isaac,
and he who had received the promises was ready to offer his only son,
of whom it was said,
Through Isaac descendants shall bear your name.
He reasoned that God was able to raise even from the dead,
and he received Isaac back as a symbol.



Responsorial Psalm Luke 1:69-70, 71-72, 73-75


R. (see 68) Blessed be the Lord the God of Israel; he has come to his people.
He has raised up for us a mighty savior,
born of the house of his servant David.
R. Blessed be the Lord the God of Israel; he has come to his people.
Through his holy prophets he promised of old.
that he would save us from our sins
from the hands of all who hate us.
He promised to show mercy to our fathers
and to remember his holy covenant.
R. Blessed be the Lord the God of Israel; he has come to his people.
This was the oath he swore to our father Abraham:
to set us free from the bonds of our enemies,
free to worship him without fear,
holy and righteous in his sight
all the days of our life.
R. Blessed be the Lord the God of Israel; he has come to his people.



Alleluia Jn 3:16


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son,
so that everyone who believes in him might have eternal life.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel Mk 4:35-41


On that day, as evening drew on, Jesus said to his disciples:
"Let us cross to the other side."
Leaving the crowd, they took Jesus with them in the boat just as he was.
And other boats were with him.
A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat,
so that it was already filling up.
Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion.
They woke him and said to him,
"Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?"
He woke up,
rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Quiet! Be still!"
The wind ceased and there was great calm.
Then he asked them, "Why are you terrified?
Do you not yet have faith?"
They were filled with great awe and said to one another,
"Who then is this whom even wind and sea obey?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...