Sunday, August 20, 2017

Strong, Humble, and Persistent


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/082017.cfm) reminds me that I should have a strong faith in God, while remaining humble yet persistent. 

In the gospel, we see a woman we should imitate. The Canaanite woman showed great humility, persistence, and strong faith. This is one of the few times Jesus actually “tests” a person. Usually, Jesus grants the people’s requests – for healing from sickness and disease, from freedom from evil spirits, even from death. However, today’s gospel shows us a different side of Jesus. His approach initially seems tough. “ it is not right to take the food of the children and throw it to the dogs” – meaning Jews first, the chosen people. Sila muna ang tutulungan ko, tsaka na kayo. Jesus even compared her (being a Caananite makes her a non Jew, a gentile) to a dog. Grabe diba, request denied na nga, tapos kinumpara pa sa aso. 

Did she stop there?

Of course not! It’s inspiring how great the woman’s faith, persistence and humility are. She was humble to come to him for her daughter’s healing, and was humble enough to accept and not be offended by Jesus words. Even though she did not get a warm treatment, she did not back down.  Then we see her faith, na kahit parang nireject na sya ni Jesus, she still believed. We also see her persistence. She did not just leave, when the disciples sent her away, and when Jesus seemed to ignore her. She humbly insisted on her request. on her faith. Sabi nya “Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps that fall from the table of their masters.” Kung baga, sabi nya, OK lang Lord na kung tingin mo aso kami, pero may faith parin ako na kahit konti, kahit tira tira nalang ng para sa Jews, ay makakapag pagaling sa anak ko. And when Jesus told her that her daughter is free from the demon, she did not say “Lord, sumama ka naman sakin para sure” or “Lord, are you sure?” She just went home

Hindi lahat ng bagay nakukuha sa isang dasal. Minsan kailangang magpakumbaba pa, magdasal pa, at mangulit pa. 

How about us? How do we react When God seem to say “no” to our requests, even if we feel that our request is for our good, or for other people’s good, what do we tell him? Do we get mad, insisting that what we are asking is a good thing, or do we humbly accept his will but keeping the faith? Do we respectfully ask in faith, or are we proud, demanding that God grant our requests because we feel we are entitled to it?

May we always remember to have complete faith in God, yet humble enough to know and accept that His will is perfect, even if it does not seem to coincide with ours.


Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for the inspiring reminder. Lord, I thank you for reminding me how important faith, humility and persistence are. Thank you for inspiring and challenging me, Lord. I am sorry for the times I act like a spoiled child – wanting things done my way, wanting prayers to be answered my way and in my time. Lord, I pray that you help me have a heart like the woman. May my faith be firm, even when you’re not answering me the way I want to. May I be persistent in praying even when I don’t seem to get what I want. And may I always be humble to submit to your perfect will, not mine, especially when my will is different from yours. Amen

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,

-g-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


August 20, 2017
Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 118



Reading 1IS 56:1, 6-7


Thus says the LORD:
Observe what is right, do what is just;
for my salvation is about to come,
my justice, about to be revealed.

The foreigners who join themselves to the LORD,
ministering to him,
loving the name of the LORD,
and becoming his servants—
all who keep the sabbath free from profanation
and hold to my covenant,
them I will bring to my holy mountain
and make joyful in my house of prayer;
their burnt offerings and sacrifices
will be acceptable on my altar,
for my house shall be called
a house of prayer for all peoples.


Responsorial PsalmPS 67:2-3, 5, 6, 8


R. (4) O God, let all the nations praise you!
May God have pity on us and bless us;
may he let his face shine upon us.
So may your way be known upon earth;
among all nations, your salvation.
R. O God, let all the nations praise you!
May the nations be glad and exult
because you rule the peoples in equity;
the nations on the earth you guide.
R. O God, let all the nations praise you!
May the peoples praise you, O God;
may all the peoples praise you!
May God bless us,
and may all the ends of the earth fear him!
R. O God, let all the nations praise you!


Reading 2ROM 11:13-15, 29-32


Brothers and sisters:
I am speaking to you Gentiles. 
Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles,
I glory in my ministry in order to make my race jealous
and thus save some of them. 
For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world,
what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?

For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable. 
Just as you once disobeyed God
but have now received mercy because of their disobedience,
so they have now disobeyed in order that,
by virtue of the mercy shown to you,
they too may now receive mercy. 
For God delivered all to disobedience,
that he might have mercy upon all.


AlleluiaCF. MT 4:23


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Jesus proclaimed the Gospel of the kingdom
and cured every disease among the people.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


GospelMT 15:21-28


At that time, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 
And behold, a Canaanite woman of that district came and called out,
"Have pity on me, Lord, Son of David! 
My daughter is tormented by a demon." 
But Jesus did not say a word in answer to her. 
Jesus' disciples came and asked him,
"Send her away, for she keeps calling out after us."
He said in reply,
"I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
But the woman came and did Jesus homage, saying, "Lord, help me." 
He said in reply,
"It is not right to take the food of the children
and throw it to the dogs." 
She said, "Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps
that fall from the table of their masters." 
Then Jesus said to her in reply,
"O woman, great is your faith! 
Let it be done for you as you wish." 
And the woman's daughter was healed from that hour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...