Thursday, March 22, 2018

Faithful



The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/032218.cfm) reminds me that God keeps his word forever. 


In the first reading, God made a covenant to Abram. God told Abram that he shall now be called Abraham, and that he will be the father of nations. Probably this was not too easy for Abraham to believe. Why? Because when this happened, he was ninety-nine years old! To be told that he will be the father of nations was probably something he would not take seriously. However, Abraham kept his faith. He trusted in God. 


Good thing God really keeps his word!


We see in the gospel that indeed, God kept his word. The Jews have high regard for their father Abraham. Though they cannot see and understand who Jesus is because they are blinded by their hardened hearts, we still see that God kept his covenant to Abraham – that he became the father of nations. That he became great. 


God keeps our covenant to us. He will keep his word – that he will take care of us, that he has great plans for us, that he will protect us, that he will love us. No matter what we are facing right now, God’s covenant still holds true. 


However, we need to keep our part of the covenant as well. Does this mean that God will only keep his part if we keep ours? Probably not… but if we wont keep our part, it’s like us saying we don’t want God to keep his part. IF we wont submit to his will, it will be hard for him to make his great plans for us come true. If we run away from him, it will be hard for him to protect us. IF we do not take care of ourself and others, it will be hard for God to take care of us. If we continue to sin and harden our hearts towards him, it will be hard for him to make his love alive in our lives, because we don’t allow God to love us.


The psalmist is right – the Lord remembers his covenant forever… he is faithful, so should we.


May we always remember that God keeps his covenant, and be encouraged to hold our end as well. 



Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for reminding me that you will always be faithful to your covenant. I am sorry for the many times I broke my word to other people. I am sorry for the many times I broke my promises to you, Lord. Sorry for the times I lose faith in you, or when I lose hope because of the situation. Help me have faith in your power and goodness. I also ask that you help me to be faithful to my word. Help me keep my promises – to other people and most especially, to you. Help me submit myself to your wlll. Help me be focused on you and on serving and loving you, and not to be distracted with the lies the world tells me. Amen.



Blessed day!



In Christ,

-g-






March 22, 2018

Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent
Lectionary: 254


Reading 1 GN 17:3-9

When Abram prostrated himself, God spoke to him:
"My covenant with you is this:
you are to become the father of a host of nations.
No longer shall you be called Abram;
your name shall be Abraham,
for I am making you the father of a host of nations.
I will render you exceedingly fertile;
I will make nations of you;
kings shall stem from you.
I will maintain my covenant with you
and your descendants after you
throughout the ages as an everlasting pact,
to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.
I will give to you
and to your descendants after you
the land in which you are now staying,
the whole land of Canaan, as a permanent possession;
and I will be their God."

God also said to Abraham:
"On your part, you and your descendants after you
must keep my covenant throughout the ages."


Responsorial Psalm PS 105:4-5, 6-7, 8-9

R. (8a) The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.
Look to the LORD in his strength;
seek to serve him constantly.
Recall the wondrous deeds that he has wrought,
his portents, and the judgments he has uttered.
R. 
The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.
You descendants of Abraham, his servants,
sons of Jacob, his chosen ones!
He, the LORD, is our God;
throughout the earth his judgments prevail.
R. 
The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.
He remembers forever his covenant
which he made binding for a thousand generations –
Which he entered into with Abraham
and by his oath to Isaac.
R. 
The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.


Verse Before The Gospel PS 95:8

If today you hear his voice,
harden not your hearts.


Gospel JN 8:51-59

Jesus said to the Jews:
"Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever keeps my word will never see death."
So the Jews said to him,
"Now we are sure that you are possessed.
Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say,
'Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.'
Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died?
Or the prophets, who died?
Who do you make yourself out to be?"
Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing;
but it is my Father who glorifies me,
of whom you say, 'He is our God.'
You do not know him, but I know him.
And if I should say that I do not know him,
I would be like you a liar.
But I do know him and I keep his word.
Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day;
he saw it and was glad."
So the Jews said to him,
"You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?"
Jesus said to them, "Amen, amen, I say to you,
before Abraham came to be, I AM."
So they picked up stones to throw at him;
but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...