Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Just Obey



The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/041818.cfm) reminds me that God is pleased with my obedience. 


The end justifies the means. Some say this is true, but this is not absolute. Sometimes, the results are not always as important as the process. In the gospel, Jesus said that he glorified God by doing what God wanted him to do. He did not say he glorified God by converting half of the world, or proclaiming the gospel to 100 countries. No, he glorified God by accomplishing the work God had for Him.


Obedience is important to God, not just results of our actions. 

God wants us to obey him and not just focus on the outcome. God wants us to follow his commandments, and did not set a minimum number of people converted, or minimum number of places where we preach his word. The results of our actions are actually dependent on Him. He can make our actions effective and powerful, no matter how simple and normal it may be. What he needs from us is to trust him , to obey him, and do what he tells us.


In the first reading, we see that the disciples obeyed what Jesus told them to do. They proclaimed the gospel. They did their part to spread God’s kingdom. And I believe that God is with them. We see how there was great joy with what Philip did. And most probably, this was also what happened to other places. They obeyed and God greatly blessed them. 


Merely obedience is not what he wants. Obedience go deeper. Obeying him is a sign of trust. We will only obey him if we trust him. Obedience is a sign of belief. We will only obey him if we believe in him. Obedience is a sign of loveWe will only obey him if we love him. So when Jesus told us he glorified God by obeying him, he means more than that. He means deeper than that. As we obey him, we will be taken out of our comfort zone, and we would need to trust, believe and love God for us to successfully do this. Then we will glorify Him.


May we take time to pause and reflect to see if and how we obey him in our lives.



Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another Wednesday. Thank you for reminding me how I can glorify you. Sorry for the times I do not obey you. Sorry for having a lot of reasons and excuses not to do what you are asking of me. help me be like Jesus. Help me be like the disciples. May I be able to obey you as I live. may my life be a testament of my obedience, of my love, and of my faith in you. use me and my actions. May I bring people to you and glorify you with my simple actions done out of love and obedience to you. amen.



Blessed Day!



In Christ,

-g-



April 18, 2018

Wednesday of the Third Week of Easter
Lectionary: 275


Reading 1 ACTS 8:1B-8

There broke out a severe persecution of the Church in Jerusalem,
and all were scattered
throughout the countryside of Judea and Samaria,
except the Apostles.
Devout men buried Stephen and made a loud lament over him.
Saul, meanwhile, was trying to destroy the Church;
entering house after house and dragging out men and women,
he handed them over for imprisonment.

Now those who had been scattered went about preaching the word.
Thus Philip went down to the city of Samaria
and proclaimed the Christ to them.
With one accord, the crowds paid attention to what was said by Philip
when they heard it and saw the signs he was doing.
For unclean spirits, crying out in a loud voice,
came out of many possessed people,
and many paralyzed and crippled people were cured.
There was great joy in that city.


Responsorial Psalm PS 66:1-3A, 4-5, 6-7A

R. (1) Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
or:
R. 
Alleluia.
Shout joyfully to God, all the earth,
sing praise to the glory of his name;
proclaim his glorious praise.
Say to God, "How tremendous are your deeds!"
R. 
Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
or:
R. 
Alleluia.
"Let all on earth worship and sing praise to you,
sing praise to your name!"
Come and see the works of God,
his tremendous deeds among the children of Adam.
R. 
Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
or:
R. 
Alleluia.
He has changed the sea into dry land;
through the river they passed on foot;
therefore let us rejoice in him.
He rules by his might forever.
R. 
Let all the earth cry out to God with joy.
or:
R. 
Alleluia.


Alleluia SEE JN 6:40

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Everyone who believe in the Son has eternal life,
and I shall raise him on the last day, says the Lord.
R. 
Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel JN 6:35-40

Jesus said to the crowds,
"I am the bread of life;
whoever comes to me will never hunger,
and whoever believes in me will never thirst.
But I told you that although you have seen me,
you do not believe.
Everything that the Father gives me will come to me,
and I will not reject anyone who comes to me,
because I came down from heaven not to do my own will
but the will of the one who sent me.
And this is the will of the one who sent me,
that I should not lose anything of what he gave me,
but that I should raise it on the last day.
For this is the will of my Father,
that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him
may have eternal life,
and I shall raise him on the last day."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...