Monday, November 26, 2018

Two Small Coins


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/112618.cfm) reminds me that God sees the value of what we give him, even if the world may not.

There are a lot of people who have their favorite sleepwear. They always use old and oversized shirts for sleeping. It makes them feel comfortable and relaxed. They could easily buy new and expensive sleepwear, but choose to use their old ones. These may not be worth a lot, since they are old and worn out, but to the owners, their value is high. Same is true for people who keep old or damaged toys, whose worth may be minimal, but who value these things a lot. God looks at our giving the same way.

God looks at the value of what we give him, not  the worldly worth.

In the gospel, what the widow gave may not have much worth in the world. Two small coins may not be able to help the poor that much. It may be practically useless. But its value for the woman is high because it was all she had. Good thing God is not man, and he does not see things the way we do. He does not need money from us to be able to do great things, to buy new things, and to help the poor. What he needs from us is a heart surrendered, a heart ready to give him what we value most, and a heart who trusts in him to make use of whatever we give and multiply it.

Aside from her generosity, we also see the woman’s faith in God. Being a widow, she is practically worthless in society, because without her husband she is nothing. That being the case, she needs every money she has to survive. However, her situation did not prevent her from sharing for God’s kingdom. Her situation did not prevent her from surrendering to God. She gave all she had because she had faith that God would continue to take care of her. She gave all she had, because she loves God and wants to share him with others.

The woman may not have given a lot in terms of amount, but she gave everything she had. That may not have much worth in the world’s eyes, but in God’s eyes, that is priceless.

How do I view giving? Do I give for God’s kingdom and his purpose? How do I give? Do I just give from my surplus, or do I give with the best I can, until it hurts? 


God does not look at the worldly value of what we give. He looks at our hearts as we give. May we be inspired and encouraged to give until it hurts, not because we like pain or are crazy, but because we want to love like Jesus did – with pain, dying of one’s self, and putting others first.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for another week. Thank you for the very inspiring reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I put off giving because I feel that I cannot give a lot. Sorry for the times I give but only out of my surplus. Sorry for not having a giving heart.  Lord, I pray that you help me give you the kind of importance the woman in the gospel gave you. May I be generous, loving and faith filled as her. May  I be willing to give you whatever I have, no matter how painful it may be for me and no matter how insignificant it may seem for me. May I be willing and ready to give you my best. Help me be detached from the things of this world. Help me put importance on you, not on worldly things. And help me have faith to trust in you and surrender. Help me love and give like you do. Amen.


Blessed Week!


In Christ,

-g-



November 26, 2018

Monday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 503



Reading 1 RV 14:1-3, 4B-5

I, John, looked and there was the Lamb standing on Mount Zion,
and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand
who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads.
I heard a sound from heaven
like the sound of rushing water or a loud peal of thunder.
The sound I heard was like that of harpists playing their harps.
They were singing what seemed to be a new hymn before the throne,
before the four living creatures and the elders.
No one could learn this hymn except the hundred and forty-four thousand
who had been ransomed from the earth.
These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever he goes.
They have been ransomed as the first fruits
of the human race for God and the Lamb.
On their lips no deceit has been found; they are unblemished.


Responsorial Psalm PS 24:1BC-2, 3-4AB, 5-6

R. (see 6) Lord, this is the people that longs to see your face.
The LORD's are the earth and its fullness;
the world and those who dwell in it.
For he founded it upon the seas
and established it upon the rivers.
R. Lord, this is the people that longs to see your face.
Who can ascend the mountain of the LORD?
or who may stand in his holy place?
He whose hands are sinless, whose heart is clean,
who desires not what is vain.
R. Lord, this is the people that longs to see your face.
He shall receive a blessing from the LORD,
a reward from God his savior.
Such is the race that seeks for him,
that seeks the face of the God of Jacob.
R. Lord, this is the people that longs to see your face.


Alleluia MT 24:42A, 44

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Stay awake!
For you do not know when the Son of Man will come.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


GospelLK 21:1-4

When Jesus looked up he saw some wealthy people
putting their offerings into the treasury
and he noticed a poor widow putting in two small coins.
He said, "I tell you truly,
this poor widow put in more than all the rest;
for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth,
but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...