Monday, August 3, 2020

Walk on Water

The WORD today reminds me how important it is to focus on Jesus.

 In the movie Happy Gilmore, the secret of Happy to get him focused and make a good shot is to think of a happy place. During stressful situations, he would think of a happy place to help him relax as he prepares for the shot, and it helps him. This is true as well for Peter Pan, when he says that people should just think of happy thoughts to be able to fly. In the gospel, we see something similar.

The disciples were on a boat when the sea got rough. They probably were not scared since most of them were fishermen. However, when they saw Jesus on water, they initially thought he was a ghost. Then when Jesus told them it was him, Peter asked Jesus to call him to the water. Jesus did, and Peter, full of faith in Jesus was able to walk on water. However, when he was distracted by the waves, and probably it sank into him he was walking on water and got worried. Then, he began to sink. But of course Jesus helped him when Peter cried out.

Keeping our eyes on Jesus will keep us above the challenges of life

I am sure we can relate to Peter. Sometimes, especially when we are spiritually high after a retreat or after experiencing something great from God, we feel we can do anything with God. Like Peter, we will leave our comfort zone and walk on water when Jesus tells us. However, sometimes this doesn’t last. When the spiritual high fades away, when we are back to the daily grind of life, or when we are faced with life’s challenges, we get scared and lose our focus on God. Then we cry out to God for help, and he always comes to our rescue.

God’s power is enough to sustain us. God’s love is so great. We just have to always focus on Him. We just always have to trust in him, especially when problems overwhelm us. Yes, situations may seem scary and overwhelming, but they will only affect us if we focus on them. No problem can weigh us down if we know that God’s love and power is bigger the these problems. As they say, all the water in the world cannot sink a ship unless they enter it. We should learn to keep them outside and focus on God as we face life.

Today, we are probably in a similar situation. We are in a small boat in a stormy sea. Nakaka takot. We feel small and helpless. That’s probably how we feel with the covid pandemic - especially with how our leaders are handling and reacting. However, we should just focus on God. Whether or not the government heeds the call and concerns / advices of medical professionals is not within our control. What we can do, however, is to focus on God. Seek him. Look and see how we can help other people. How we can respond. There are calls and posters on what we can do ourselves. God is still present. God is around. And he is asking us to join him. To spread his gospel of love and hope. We can do our part. We should.

What is the biggest problem I have right now? How do I feel about it? What am I doing about it? Do I have faith that God can and will help me, or do I stress myself out finding out solutions without putting God in the picture? Do i know that God wants me to just focus on Him and trust him? How can I increase my faith?

May we be inspired and strengthened to be reminded of God’s love and power in our lives.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another week. thank you for another chance to love and serve you. thank you for everything. Lord, sorry for the times I do not focus in you. Sorry for the times I focus on the problem. I am sorry for the times I let the water in my life, sorry for the times I let problems overwhelm and drown me. I ask that you help me always focus on you. always remind me of your love and power. help me to always fix my eyes on you and focus on you and not on anyone or anything else. I know that nothing is too big for you, and your love and power is greater than any problem or challenge in life.  Help me stay afloat and walk above the water. Amen.

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:
https://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2016/08/walk-on-water_11.html
https://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2014/08/never-doubt-him.html


August 03, 2020
Monday of Week 18; St. Philip Benizi
FIRST READING

Jeremiah 28:1-17
In the beginning of the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah, in the fifth month of the fourth year, the prophet Hananiah, son of Azzur, from Gibeon, said to me in the house of the LORD in the presence of the priests and all the people: “Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: ‘I will break the yoke of the king of Babylon. Within two years I will restore to this place all the vessels of the temple of the LORD which Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, took away from this place to Babylon. And I will bring back to this place Jeconiah, son of Jehoiakim, king of Judah, and all the exiles of Judah who went to Babylon,’ says the LORD, ‘for I will break the yoke of the king of Babylon.’”

The prophet Jeremiah answered the prophet Hananiah in the presence of the priests and all the people assembled in the house of the LORD, and said: Amen! thus may the LORD do! May he fulfill the things you have prophesied by bringing the vessels of the house of the LORD and all the exiles back from Babylon to this place! But now, listen to what I am about to state in your hearing and the hearing of all the people. From of old, the prophets who were before you and me prophesied war, woe, and pestilence against many lands and mighty kingdoms. But the prophet who prophesies peace is recognized as truly sent by the LORD only when his prophetic prediction is fulfilled.

Thereupon the prophet Hananiah took the yoke from the neck of the prophet Jeremiah and broke it, and said in the presence of all the people: “Thus says the LORD: ‘Even so, within two years I will break the yoke of Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, from off the neck of all the nations.’” At that, the prophet Jeremiah went away.

Some time after the prophet Hananiah had broken the yoke from off the neck of the prophet Jeremiah, The word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: Go tell Hananiah this: Thus says the LORD: By breaking a wooden yoke, you forge an iron yoke! For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel:
A yoke of iron I will place on the necks of all these nations serving Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, and they shall serve him; even the beasts of the field I give him.

To the prophet Hananiah the prophet Jeremiah said: Hear this, Hananiah! The LORD has not sent you, and you have raised false confidence in this people. For this, says the LORD, I will dispatch you from the face of the earth; this very year you shall die, because you have preached rebellion against the LORD. That same year, in the seventh month, Hananiah the prophet died.

RESPONSORIAL PSALM

Psalm 119:29, 43, 79, 80, 95, 102
R. (68b) Lord, teach me your statutes.

Remove from me the way of falsehood, and favor me with your law.

R. Lord, teach me your statutes.

Take not the word of truth from my mouth, for in your ordinances is my hope.

R. Lord, teach me your statutes.

Let those turn to me who fear you and acknowledge your decrees.

R. Lord, teach me your statutes.

Let my heart be perfect in your statutes, that I be not put to shame.

R. Lord, teach me your statutes.

Sinners wait to destroy me, but I pay heed to your decrees.

R. Lord, teach me your statutes.

From your ordinances I turn not away, for you have instructed me.

R. Lord, teach me your statutes.

ALLELUIA

Matthew 4:4
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

GOSPEL

Matthew 14:22-36
Jesus made the disciples get into a boat and precede him to the other side of the sea, while he dismissed the crowds. After doing so, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When it was evening he was there alone. Meanwhile the boat, already a few miles offshore, was being tossed about by the waves, for the wind was against it. During the fourth watch of the night, he came toward them, walking on the sea. When the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified. “It is a ghost,” they said, and they cried out in fear. At once Jesus spoke to them, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”
Peter said to him in reply, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” He said, “Come.” Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus. But when he saw how strong the wind was he became frightened; and, beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” After they got into the boat, the wind died down. Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying, “Truly, you are the Son of God.”

After making the crossing, they came to land at Gennesaret. When the men of that place recognized him, they sent word to all the surrounding country. People brought to him all those who were sick and begged him that they might touch only the tassel on his cloak, and as many as touched it were healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...