Friday, October 2, 2020

Greatest


The WORD today reminds me who the greatest in God’s eyes is. 

A few years back, there was a movie about the life of Muhammad Ali, whom many considered one of if not the world’s greatest boxer, although today Floyd Mayweather insists he is the greatest. The theme song of the Ali movie  had the title. “The World’s Greatest”. He won many fights, he was a well-respected boxer in the ring, and his skills are superior… that’s why he is a great fighter.

God’s standards are usually opposite as those of the world’s. The greatest in God’s eyes are not the strong and mighty, but the dependent and childlike.

In the gospel, Jesus told his disciples that a child is great in God’s eyes, and they should welcome and be like children. That they should humble themselves like the children. Back then, children together with women were the least in the society, so women and of course children are naturally humble because of their situation. 

Why is a child great? Because of his humility and nothingness. He knows he cannot do anything on his own, so he is fully dependent on his parents. Children does not only rely, but also obey their parents – even when they do not understand what the parents are asking them to do. The same way, God wants us to be like that, to know and remember that we really cannot do anything on our own… that we should be fully dependent and obedient on God, our father. This is something difficult, especially for successful and independent people who think they can do anything and can exist on their own.

If we know and accept our nothingness, and fully depend on God, then we are great. For it is when we humbly ask for His grace and guidance that we can be filled with everything God wants to give us. And when we are filled with God, then we are certainly great, for God is in us.

How do I see greatness? What is my perspective on greatness? Do I realize that God’s hand was upon me all my life? Do I humble myself before him? 

May we be reminded of what it takes to be great in God’s eyes, and do our best to be one.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for your reminder. Thank you for loving me and for blessing me. Lord, this gospel has been repeating a number of times these past few weeks, and I believe that you just want me to remember how important this is to you. Thank you for sending people in my life who remind me how much you love me and how special I am to you. Lord, I am sorry for the times I put you out of the picture, when I just rely on myself and do things on my own. Sorry for the times I focus too much on myself, how I can be great in the eyes of the world. Help me have the childlike attitude and faith that will always rely on you as I live. Help me live like your child so I can be great in your eyes. Amen.

Blessed Day!

In Christ,
-g-

October 02, 2020
The Guardian Angels
FIRST READING
Thus says the LORD:
“See, I am sending an angel before you, to guard you on the way and bring you to the place I have prepared. Be attentive to him and heed his voice. Do not rebel against him, for he will not forgive your sin. My authority resides in him. If you heed his voice and carry out all I tell you, I will be an enemy to your enemies and a foe to your foes.

“My angel will go before you and bring you to the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Canaanites, Hivites, and Jebusites; and I will wipe them out.”
RESPONSORIAL PSALM
R. The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, Say to the LORD, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

R. The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

For he will rescue you from the snare of the fowler, from the destroying pestilence. With his pinions he will cover you, and under his wings you shall take refuge.

R. The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

His faithfulness is a buckler and a shield. You shall not fear the terror of the night nor the arrow that flies by day; Nor the pestilence that roams in darkness, nor the devastating plague at noon.

R. The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

No evil shall befall you, nor shall affliction come near your tent, For to his angels he has given command about you, that they guard you in all your ways.

R. The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.
ALLELUIA
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Bless the LORD, all you angels, you ministers, who do his will.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
GOSPEL
The disciples approached Jesus and said, “Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?” He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, “Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...