Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Narrow Gate


The WORD today reminds me that I should continue to trust God, especially when I feel it may not be wise to do so. 

A lot of people go with the bandwagon. New restaurant. New product. New favorite basketball team. New political party. New fad. They want to belong and be part of the majority. Super majority for some. That's okay. But not necessarily okay when it comes to our faith. 

God wants us to stick with Him especially when others don't. 

In the gospel, Jesus tells his disciples as he is telling us today to stick to the narrow gate. The narrow gate - difficult, not a popular choice, but will lead to life with him. Not a lot of people are willing to do this. Not a lot of people want this. People want easy things with easy rewards, not thinking of the long term reward God will give us. 

In the first reading, we see why we should choose the narrow gate. Hezekiah was threatened by the powerful king of Assyria, Sennacherib. He already destroyed a lot of countries. And when Hezekiah was told that he would be attacked, he did not let go of his faith. He did not ally himself with the powerful king. Instead, he turned to God. Even if others fell. Even if it would have been easier to surrender. He trusted in God. And God rewarded his faith by disposing of 185,000 men in the powerful camp, that the king decided to turn back. That's how God rewards those who choose the narrow gate and remain faithful to him. 

God is powerful. God is faithful, especially to those who are faithful to him. We should not look at the obvious or the majority, especially when it comes to faith. We should just trust God and have faith that he will take care if everything according to his great plans. We may be faced with challenges. We may have problems. And there may be easy ways out. But God reminds us to stick to him and choose him. To choose the narrow gate. And he will continue to take care of us. 

When was the last time I was faced with the choice between choosing God or others? What did I do? Who did I choose? When was the last time God surprised me by taking care of me especially when the situation seemed to be impossible to get away from? What is he telling me today?

May we always choose God, especially when others do not. Let us have faith in him, his love and his power. 


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to experience your love. Thank you for another reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I ignore you. Sorry for the times I choose the easy way out. Sorry for the times I let go of my faith. Help me choose the narrow gate, especially when it is not the most popular choice. Help me stick to you always. Increase my faith and my resolve to follow and choose you always. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...