Sunday, March 5, 2023

Work and Reward


The WORD today reminds me that we should work first before getting our reward from God. 

I personally believe in earning your reward. I would rather work hard first then rest and enjoy after the work is done, rather than what others do which is to mix work and fun - Some reward themselves or take breaks while working. 

The first reading shows us Abraham and how he was. He had to work for God and patiently wait for a very long time before God gave them Isaac. Then we see today that God asked him to sacrifice Isaac which he would have obeyed. Then when God saw his heart, he told him not to do it, and promised him numerous descendants. He had to work before getting his reward from God. 

In the gospel we see Jesus bringing his closest apostles to the mountain to witness his transfiguration. However, Jesus did not allow them to stay there. He told them that they should all go back down the mountain first, in essence telling them that they should work first for God's kingdom before enjoying the reward of being forever with Jesus, Moses and Elijah. 

God loves us and had great plans for us. Surely he has rewards in store for us. However, we need to do our part first and work for his kingdom. We need to show him how much we really love him and how much we are willing to sacrifice to please and obey him - even if to us it doesn't make sense. Then when our hearts are full of love for him, and when we continuously live that, then we will enjoy our reward - eternal life with him. 

What are the things I do for God? How do I serve him? How do I show my love for him? Am I willing to work for and serve God, despite what is happening to my life?

May we always have it in our hearts to serve God and work for him. 

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live.  Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for your reminder that I need to work hard for you first. Lord, sorry for being lazy. Sorry for not doing things for you. Sorry for all my excuses. Lord,  you know I love you and I ask that you help me live it. Help me be faithful to you. Help me live my love for you through others. May I do my best for you, and I have faith that when the perfect time comes, you will give me your reward. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related refections:

Daily Readings

Second Sunday of Lent

Lectionary: 25

Reading 1 

The LORD said to Abram: 
"Go forth from the land of your kinsfolk
and from your father's house to a land that I will show you.

"I will make of you a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
so that you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you
and curse those who curse you.
All the communities of the earth
shall find blessing in you."

Abram went as the LORD directed him.

Responsorial Psalm 

R. (22) Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you.
Upright is the word of the LORD,
and all his works are trustworthy.
He loves justice and right;
of the kindness of the LORD the earth is full.
R. Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you.
See, the eyes of the LORD are upon those who fear him,
upon those who hope for his kindness,
To deliver them from death
and preserve them in spite of famine.
R. Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you.
Our soul waits for the LORD,
who is our help and our shield.
May your kindness, O LORD, be upon us
who have put our hope in you.
R. Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you.

Reading 2 

Beloved:
Bear your share of hardship for the gospel
with the strength that comes from God.

He saved us and called us to a holy life,
not according to our works
but according to his own design
and the grace bestowed on us in Christ Jesus before time began,
but now made manifest 
through the appearance of our savior Christ Jesus,
who destroyed death and brought life and immortality
to light through the gospel.

Verse Before the Gospel 

From the shining cloud the Father's voice is heard:
This is my beloved Son, hear him.

Gospel 

Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, 
and led them up a high mountain by themselves.
And he was transfigured before them; 
his face shone like the sun 
and his clothes became white as light.
And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them,
conversing with him.
Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, 
"Lord, it is good that we are here.
If you wish, I will make three tents here, 
one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah."
While he was still speaking, behold,
a bright cloud cast a shadow over them, 
then from the cloud came a voice that said, 
"This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased;
listen to him."
When the disciples heard this, they fell prostrate
and were very much afraid.
But Jesus came and touched them, saying,
"Rise, and do not be afraid."
And when the disciples raised their eyes, 
they saw no one else but Jesus alone.

As they were coming down from the mountain,
Jesus charged them,
"Do not tell the vision to anyone 
until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...