Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Up to You


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/101415.cfm) reminds me that it is up to us to determine how we want God to see us.

There is a reality talent show called “The Voice” wherein coaches would choose their members based on the voice and not on the appearance and personality. However, when there are more than 1 judge who chooses someone, it will be up to the person to decide whose team he or she will join. Some base the decision on the personality of the coach, while others base it on the coaching style. It is important to choose wisely because how the contestant will perform in the competition will be largely affected by the coach.

This is similar to the readings today. God is telling us that it is up to us to choose if we want to be good with him or not. Our actions and decisions tell him if we want to be with him and be rewarded, or we want to be far from him and be punished.

God repays everyone according to his works.

Although God wants all of us to be saved and be with him in paradise for eternity, it will be ultimately us who will decide if we want that or not. Our actions, our everyday decisions tell him what we want. If we always do what hurts him, if we always sin and disobey him, then we are telling him we do not want to be with him. However, if we live right, do what pleases him, honor him with our actions and lives, then we are telling him that we want to be with him forever in paradise.

Being with God in paradise is not a one time question or decision. We cannot live doing just what we want, disobeying him, then tell him we want to be with him when we die. The decision and the answer should be made daily through the little and big things. We cannot just wait and hope for the chance to decide and repent before we die while living away from God.

May we be reminded to make the decision daily, and to tell God daily through our lives that we want to be with him in paradise.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for the reminder.. Lord, you know that I love you and that I want to be with you in paradise. Sorry for the many times I do not live it, for the many times I do not make you feel like I do. Sorry for hurting you and choosing myself and my happiness over you. Help me live right. Help me tell you everyday by my actions that I love you and I want to stay with you forever. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 14, 2015
Wednesday of the Twenty-eighth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 469

 

 

Reading 1 Rom 2:1-11

 
You, O man, are without excuse, every one of you who passes judgment.
For by the standard by which you judge another you condemn yourself,since you, the judge, do the very same things.
We know that the judgment of God on those who do such things is true.
Do you suppose, then, you who judge those who engage in such things
and yet do them yourself,
that you will escape the judgment of God?
Or do you hold his priceless kindness, forbearance, and patience
in low esteem, unaware that the kindness of God
would lead you to repentance?
By your stubbornness and impenitent heart,
you are storing up wrath for yourself
for the day of wrath and revelation
of the just judgment of God,
who will repay everyone according to his works,
eternal life to those who seek glory, honor, and immortality
through perseverance in good works,
but wrath and fury to those who selfishly disobey the truth
and obey wickedness.

Yes, affliction and distress will come upon everyone
who does evil, Jew first and then Greek.
But there will be glory, honor, and peace for everyone
who does good, Jew first and then Greek.
There is no partiality with God.

 

 

Responsorial Psalm PS 62:2-3, 6-7, 9

 
R. (13b) Lord, you give back to everyone according to his works.
Only in God is my soul at rest;
from him comes my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my stronghold; I shall not be disturbed at all.
R. Lord, you give back to everyone according to his works.
Only in God be at rest, my soul,
for from him comes my hope.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my stronghold; I shall not be disturbed.
R. Lord, you give back to everyone according to his works.
Trust in him at all times, O my people!
Pour out your hearts before him;
God is our refuge!
R. Lord, you give back to everyone according to his works.

 

 

Alleluia Jn 10:27

 
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord;
I know them, and they follow me.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

 

Gospel Lk 11:42-46

 
The Lord said:
“Woe to you Pharisees!
You pay tithes of mint and of rue and of every garden herb,
but you pay no attention to judgment and to love for God.
These you should have done, without overlooking the others.
Woe to you Pharisees!
You love the seat of honor in synagogues
and greetings in marketplaces.
Woe to you!
You are like unseen graves over which people unknowingly walk.”

Then one of the scholars of the law said to him in reply,
“Teacher, by saying this you are insulting us too.”
And he said, “Woe also to you scholars of the law!
You impose on people burdens hard to carry,
but you yourselves do not lift one finger to touch them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...