Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Proclaim His Greatness


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/122215.cfm) reminds me that we should proclaim God’s greatness, not our own.

There are a lot of success stories in this life. There are a lot of people who have overcome challenges and obstacles. And there are a lot of inspiring articles about their lives. Most of these articles give importance to the will of the person not to give up, determination amidst challenges, and hard work done. However, not all of these articles mention the part God played in improving them – either they do not realize it, or they felt it was unnecessary to mention it. These people and their success get glorified, not God. This should not happen to us.

We should proclaim God’s greatness in and through our lives.

Mary in the gospel did this. After receiving compliments, she did not take it in and praised herself and stressed her importance in the salvation history. In fact, she did the opposite. She started by saying that her soul magnifies the Lord. She brought back all the recognition to God. All fame and glory is to be given back to God, as she was only given the chance to play a part of God’s plan. In the first reading, we also see how else we can glorify God and proclaim his greatness – by keeping our word and following his word.

As Christmas nears, there are a lot of social gatherings and celebrations. Yes, we have worked hard, and we probably think we earned whatever we have achieved. However, we should not forget that God is there the whole time, guiding us, protecting us, blessing us and opening opportunities for us. As we share food with others, may we also share God with them. As we share our accomplishments, may we also share our blessings. And as we receive glory and affirmation, may we generously give them all back to God.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for all the blessings. Thank you for the accomplishments and the opportunities. Lord, help me always be aware of these. Help me always be aware that all of these came from you. help me be aware that all of these are because of you. May I be like Mary and Hannah, who glorified you and proclaimed your greatness through their lives, through their actions. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 22, 2015
Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Advent
Lectionary: 198

 

 

Reading 1 1 Sm 1:24-28

 
In those days,
Hannah brought Samuel with her,
along with a three-year-old bull,
an ephah of flour, and a skin of wine,
and presented him at the temple of the LORD in Shiloh.
After the boy’s father had sacrificed the young bull,
Hannah, his mother, approached Eli and said:
“Pardon, my lord!
As you live, my lord,
I am the woman who stood near you here, praying to the LORD.
I prayed for this child, and the LORD granted my request.
Now I, in turn, give him to the LORD;
as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the LORD.”
She left Samuel there.

 

 

Responsorial Psalm 1 Samuel 2:1, 4-5, 6-7, 8abcd

 
R. (see 1a) My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.
“My heart exults in the LORD,
my horn is exalted in my God.
I have swallowed up my enemies;
I rejoice in my victory.”
R. My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.
“The bows of the mighty are broken,
while the tottering gird on strength.
The well-fed hire themselves out for bread,
while the hungry batten on spoil.
The barren wife bears seven sons,
while the mother of many languishes.”
R. My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.
“The LORD puts to death and gives life;
he casts down to the nether world;
he raises up again.
The LORD makes poor and makes rich,
he humbles, he also exalts.”
R. My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.
“He raises the needy from the dust;
from the dung heap he lifts up the poor,
To seat them with nobles
and make a glorious throne their heritage.”
R. My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.

 

 

Alleluia 

 
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
O King of all nations and keystone of the Church:
come and save man, whom you formed from the dust!
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

 

Gospel Lk 1:46-56

 
Mary said:

“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
for he has looked upon his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
and has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children for ever.”

Mary remained with Elizabeth about three months
and then returned to her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...