Sunday, December 13, 2015

Thirsty


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/121315.cfm) reminds me that I should always be thirsty for God.

In the gospel, we see John the Baptist answering the questions of people. He gave them guidance and direction on how to live, on what to do. Good thing the people were receptive. They were filled with expectation. Their hearts were burning. And they were asking if John was the Messiah. Their experience of God through John made them thirsty for God. This is how it should be.

Our experience with God should make us thirsty for him.

They say that the more you get to know a person, the more you learn things about the person, the more you love the person. This is what happened to the people. The more they experience God through John, the more they see him in others, the more they fall in love with God. The more they thirst for God.

We have been preparing for Christmas. We have been trying to go out and proclaim God to others. that’s the message for me for the past two Sundays. Today, we should remember to be thirsty for God always.

We cannot share what we do not have. And we should be thirsty for God so we will seek him. as we seek him, as we experience him, we will be filled. And as we are filled, then our service and testimony of God through others become more effective.

In the second reading, we see what will happen if we are thirsty for God. IF we lift everything up to God – all our problems and concerns, we will experience his peace that nothing in this world can disturb. As we thirst for God, we will be rewarded by things only he can give.

May we always be thirsty for God so we can experience him and share him more effectively.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another day to love and serve you. Thank you for all the blessings. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, I ask that you continue to fill me. continue to make me realize how much you love me. I pray that I always be thirsty for you. That I want more and more of you each day. As I experience you, as I get filled, I know that I can better share you to others. use me, my actions and my life to proclaim your love and your kingdom here on earth. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 13, 2015
Third Sunday of Advent
Lectionary: 9

 

 

Reading 1 Zep 3:14-18a

 
Shout for joy, O daughter Zion!
Sing joyfully, O Israel!
Be glad and exult with all your heart,
O daughter Jerusalem!
The LORD has removed the judgment against you
he has turned away your enemies;
the King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst,
you have no further misfortune to fear.
On that day, it shall be said to Jerusalem:
Fear not, O Zion, be not discouraged!
The LORD, your God, is in your midst,
a mighty savior;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
and renew you in his love,
he will sing joyfully because of you,
as one sings at festivals.

 

 

Responsorial Psalm Is 12:2-3, 4, 5-6

 
R. (6) Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.
God indeed is my savior;
I am confident and unafraid.
My strength and my courage is the LORD,
and he has been my savior.
With joy you will draw water
at the fountain of salvation.
R. Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.
Give thanks to the LORD, acclaim his name;
among the nations make known his deeds,
proclaim how exalted is his name.
R. Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.
Sing praise to the LORD for his glorious achievement;
let this be known throughout all the earth.
Shout with exultation, O city of Zion,
for great in your midst
is the Holy One of Israel!
R. Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.

 

 

Reading 2 Phil 4:4-7

 
Brothers and sisters:
Rejoice in the Lord always.
I shall say it again: rejoice!
Your kindness should be known to all.
The Lord is near.
Have no anxiety at all, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
make your requests known to God.
Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

 

 

Alleluia Is 61:1 (cited in Lk 4:18)

 
 
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to bring glad tidings to the poor.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

 

Gospel Lk 3:10-18

 
The crowds asked John the Baptist,
“What should we do?”
He said to them in reply,
“Whoever has two cloaks
should share with the person who has none.
And whoever has food should do likewise.”
Even tax collectors came to be baptized and they said to him,
“Teacher, what should we do?”
He answered them,
“Stop collecting more than what is prescribed.”
Soldiers also asked him,
“And what is it that we should do?”
He told them,
“Do not practice extortion,
do not falsely accuse anyone,
and be satisfied with your wages.”

Now the people were filled with expectation,
and all were asking in their hearts
whether John might be the Christ.
John answered them all, saying,

“I am baptizing you with water,
but one mightier than I is coming.
I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals.
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
His winnowing fan is in his hand to clear his threshing floor
and to gather the wheat into his barn,
but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”
Exhorting them in many other ways,
he preached good news to the people

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...