Monday, February 22, 2016

Measured


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/022216.cfm) reminds me that God will measure us according to how we measure others. 

A lot of people believe in karma. Good begets good, bad begets bad. You reap what you sow. That eventually you will feel the effects of your actions.  This may be true in a lot of situations, but I believe this is not the law of karma working. God is working and applying the principle we see in the gospel. 

The gospel is pretty straightforward. The measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you. If we stop judging others, God will not judge us. If we dont condemn others, God will not condemn us. If we forgive others, God will forgive us. Similar to the Lord's prayer. If we do good to others, if we give to others, then God will also bless us  

God measures us by how we measure other people. 

Rather than attributing it to karma, we should remember that God is just applying to us what we apply to others. If we judge others and treat others bad, we are telling God that this is how we see life, that since this is how we treat others, it is also how we want God to treat us. On the other hand, if we lovingly give to others, we tell God that we are generous with his blessings, and he will give us more so we can give more to others. 

May we remember that God is fair, and how we treat others is how God will treat us. 

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another day to experience your love and blessings. Thank you for another week. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, I ask that you help me and always remind me. May I always remember that how I measure and treat others will be the same way you will measure and treat me. Mold me and make me more like you, and help me treat others the way I should. May my actions show my love for you. May my actions always be consistent with my faith. Amen. 

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 22, 2016
Feast of the Chair of Saint Peter, Apostle
Lectionary: 535



Reading 1 1 Pt 5:1-4


Beloved:
I exhort the presbyters among you,
as a fellow presbyter and witness to the sufferings of Christ
and one who has a share in the glory to be revealed.
Tend the flock of God in your midst,
overseeing not by constraint but willingly,
as God would have it, not for shameful profit but eagerly.
Do not lord it over those assigned to you,
but be examples to the flock.
And when the chief Shepherd is revealed,
you will receive the unfading crown of glory.



Responsorial Psalm PS 23:1-3a, 4, 5, 6


R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
In verdant pastures he gives me repose;
Beside restful waters he leads me;
he refreshes my soul.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
Even though I walk in the dark valley
I fear no evil; for you are at my side
With your rod and your staff
that give me courage.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
You spread the table before me
in the sight of my foes;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
Only goodness and kindness follow me
all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
for years to come.
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.



Verse Before the Gospel Mt 16:18


You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church;
the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.



Gospel Mt 16:13-19


When Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi
he asked his disciples,
“Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah,
still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter said in reply,
“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah.
For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.
And so I say to you, you are Peter,
and upon this rock I will build my Church,
and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven.
Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven;
and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...