Sunday, April 10, 2016

Obey In Faith


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/041016.cfm) reminds me that we should have faith and obey in God, especially when it seems to make no sense. 

It is not easy to obey others. Sometimes at work or when we are forced to, we obey people in authority. But when we have a choice not to, we seldom obey. Unless we believe in the person. Unless we understand the reason why we are asked to do it. Unless we know it is beneficial to us. But otherwise, obeying is tough. Especially when what is asked of you seems to make no sense. However, we should not be like this with God. 

We should always obey God, especially when it seems to make no sense. Obeying because of faith yields great miracles. 

In the gospel, we see Jesus making miracles. He told the disciples to lower their nets so they can get some fish. They have been working hard all night but they caught nothing. Then comes this man who tells them to lower their nets in a shallow part of the water (since they were coming home already). But instead of questioning him. Instead of doubting him. Instead of being frustrated. They simply obeyed. They lowered their nets. And because of their faith, because of their obedience, they caught a lot of fish. One hundred fifty three large ones. Because of his faith and obedience, they were blessed.

We are all carrying our problems, burdens and concerns. Issues. There may be times we feel what they felt – working hard all our lives and still accomplishing nothing, still the same problems, concerns and worries. Tired. Frustrated. However, we should not let these things overpower us. We should not let these things prevent God from working in our lives. We should let our faith in God overcome all these things. 

Had the disciples told Jesus that they were too tired from working all night - even if Jesus had the power to bless them, they won’t be blessed. If they gave in to the temptation to say “Hey, we worked all night and did what you are telling us to do, and we got nothing. So please, give us a break” or something like that, they would really not catch anything.

God’s wisdom is beyond our understanding, and his goodness is never ending.

We don’t need to understand why he is asking us to do things, or it does not need to make sense what he is asking us to do. Sometimes, he just wants us to obey, have faith and be humble. Then he can bless us.

May we be inspired by the faith of the apostles, and obey God no matter what situation we may be in. 


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for giving me another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for all the blessings. Lord, I ask for the gift of faith. I ask for the gift of humility. Lord, there are a lot of times I get tired or frustrated in life. My efforts seem to get me nowhere. Same probems, same concerns, same everything. But Lord, may these things not make me lose focus on you. May these things not make me lose my faith in you. Lord, I pray that I always be humble and obedient to you. may my faith always be bigger than my frustrations and concerns. And as I try my best to obey you, I ask that you do great things to and through me. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 10, 2016
Third Sunday of Easter
Lectionary: 48



Reading 1 Acts 5:27-32, 40b-41


When the captain and the court officers had brought the apostles in
and made them stand before the Sanhedrin,
the high priest questioned them,
“We gave you strict orders, did we not,
to stop teaching in that name?
Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching
and want to bring this man’s blood upon us.”
But Peter and the apostles said in reply,
“We must obey God rather than men.
The God of our ancestors raised Jesus,
though you had him killed by hanging him on a tree.
God exalted him at his right hand as leader and savior
to grant Israel repentance and forgiveness of sins.
We are witnesses of these things,
as is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey him.”

The Sanhedrin ordered the apostles
to stop speaking in the name of Jesus, and dismissed them.
So they left the presence of the Sanhedrin,
rejoicing that they had been found worthy
to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name.



Responsorial Psalm Ps 30:2, 4, 5-6, 11-12, 13


R. (2a) I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.
or:
R. Alleluia.
I will extol you, O LORD, for you drew me clear
and did not let my enemies rejoice over me.
O LORD, you brought me up from the netherworld;
you preserved me from among those going down into the pit.
R. I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Sing praise to the LORD, you his faithful ones,
and give thanks to his holy name.
For his anger lasts but a moment;
a lifetime, his good will.
At nightfall, weeping enters in,
but with the dawn, rejoicing.
R. I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Hear, O LORD, and have pity on me;
O LORD, be my helper.
You changed my mourning into dancing;
O LORD, my God, forever will I give you thanks.
R. I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me.
or:
R. Alleluia.



Reading 2 Rev 5:11-14


I, John, looked and heard the voices of many angels
who surrounded the throne
and the living creatures and the elders.
They were countless in number, and they cried out in a loud voice:
“Worthy is the Lamb that was slain
to receive power and riches, wisdom and strength,
honor and glory and blessing.”
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth
and under the earth and in the sea,
everything in the universe, cry out:
“To the one who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be blessing and honor, glory and might,
forever and ever.”
The four living creatures answered, “Amen,”
and the elders fell down and worshiped.



Alleluia


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Christ is risen, creator of all;
he has shown pity on all people.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel JN 21:1-14


At that time, Jesus revealed himself to his disciples at the Sea of Tiberias.
He revealed himself in this way.
Together were Simon Peter, Thomas called Didymus,
Nathanael from Cana in Galilee,
Zebedee’s sons, and two others of his disciples.
Simon Peter said to them, “ am going fishing.”
They said to him, “We also will come with you.”
So they went out and got into the boat,
but that night they caught nothing.
When it was already dawn, Jesus was standing on the shore;
but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.
Jesus said to them, “Children, have you caught anything to eat?”
They answered him, “No.”
So he said to them, “Cast the net over the right side of the boat
and you will find something.”

So they cast it, and were not able to pull it in
because of the number of fish.
So the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord.”
When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord,
he tucked in his garment, for he was lightly clad,
and jumped into the sea.
The other disciples came in the boat,
for they were not far from shore, only about a hundred yards,
dragging the net with the fish.
When they climbed out on shore,
they saw a charcoal fire with fish on it and bread.
Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish you just caught.”
So Simon Peter went over and dragged the net ashore
full of one hundred fifty-three large fish.
Even though there were so many, the net was not torn.
Jesus said to them, “Come, have breakfast.”
And none of the disciples dared to ask him, “Who are you?”
because they realized it was the Lord.
Jesus came over and took the bread and gave it to them,
and in like manner the fish.
This was now the third time Jesus was revealed to his disciples
after being raised from the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...