Monday, October 31, 2016

Heavenly Investment


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/103116.cfm) reminds me how we can invest for heaven. 

Investment in the sense of the world is usually equated to making profit or getting something back with what you give or let go. You buy something that will be beneficial in the future. You buy something that you could sell at a higher cost, such as stocks or properties, or something that would be beneficial or useful in the future, in the case of education. You do something that could potentially help you in the future. There's always something we expect or hope to eventually get back. This is also true with heavenly things. 

Jesus also tells us to invest – for our future in heaven.

In the gospel, He tells us to give to others who cannot repay us back. That definitely is not investment in the sense of the world. Of course you want to give to people you love, people close to you, people who would be useful in your career of those who may do good to you in the future. 

However, Jesus wants us to look beyond the worldly aspect of investment, and look beyond what our eyes can see. He wants us to invest, to put something where only He can repay us back. He wants us to give our time, talent and treasure to build his kingdom, even if, and especially for those who cannot repay us back. 

Some people we help cannot repay us in this world. People who have no capacity. People who do not know us or would not remember what we did for them. However, as we do things with love for God expressed through others, God takes notice. God cannot be outgiven. So since humans cannot repay us, God will repay us himself, but probably not in this world, but in His kingdom, in his perfect time. 
As we genuinely help others, God transforms us to be more like him, and prepares us for eternity wth Him. 

That is real investment, when you know that God would be the one who will repay you… and when he does, it is out of this world.

Where am I investing my time, talent and treasure? Do I follow Jesus and what he tells today? When I do things for him, do I always expect a return – such as an approval, appreciation, fame or a good reputation? What is my intention for doing things for him?

May we be challenged and inspired to genuinely do good to others snd help others with whatever God has given us. 

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to love. Thank you for another week. Lord, as I start another week, I ask that you help me look beyond what the eyes can see. Help me look beyond the physical concerns of the world. May I invest my time, talent and treasure in building your kingdom. May I genuinely give of myself and genuinely help others as an expression of my love for you. Help me give my best, knowing in faith that you will take care of me as I serve you and will reward me accordingly when the right time comes. Make me more like you so i can serve others better. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 31, 2016
Monday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 485



Reading 1 Phil 2:1-4


Brothers and sisters:
If there is any encouragement in Christ,
any solace in love,
any participation in the Spirit,
any compassion and mercy,
complete my joy by being of the same mind, with the same love,
united in heart, thinking one thing.
Do nothing out of selfishness or out of vainglory;
rather, humbly regard others as more important than yourselves,
each looking out not for his own interests,
but also everyone for those of others.



Responsorial Psalm Ps 131:1bcde, 2, 3


R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
O LORD, my heart is not proud,
nor are my eyes haughty;
I busy not myself with great things,
nor with things too sublime for me.
R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
Nay rather, I have stilled and quieted
my soul like a weaned child.
Like a weaned child on its mother’s lap,
so is my soul within me.
R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
O Israel, hope in the LORD,
both now and forever.
R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.



Alleluia Jn 8:31b-32


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples,
and you will know the truth, says the Lord.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel Lk 14:12-14


On a sabbath Jesus went to dine
at the home of one of the leading Pharisees.
He said to the host who invited him,
“When you hold a lunch or a dinner,
do not invite your friends or your brothers or sisters
or your relatives or your wealthy neighbors,
in case they may invite you back and you have repayment.
Rather, when you hold a banquet,
invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind;
blessed indeed will you be because of their inability to repay you.
For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...