Monday, November 14, 2016

Unwavering


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/111416.cfm) reminds me that our faith should be unwavering, no matter what the situation may be. 

Swords and iron are strengthened by fire. Metal by itself is strong, but when subjected to intense heat, it becomes stronger. It becomes more beautiful. It becomes sharper. In the same way, our faith becomes stronger when tested with fire and challenges... As long as we do not give up and break in the process. 

Being a blind person, the man was sitting and begging by the roadside. Probably he was really desperate, but definitely not hopeless. When he heard that Jesus was passing by, he gave all he got and shouted to get Jesus’ attention. However, he did not get what he wanted. Jesus did not hear him. Worse, other people told him to shut up. However, when asked by the people to shut up, he did not lose hope, his spirit was not dampened, instead, shouted louder.

Makulit sya. Buti nalang. Kasi minsan kailangang maging makulit talaga sa panalangin. 

When he was called by people, not even Jesus, he showed even greater faith. Even if he did not get what he wanted, even if Jesus was not the one who personally called him, he knew that being summoned by Jesus would forever change his life. He had full faith in the power of Jesus, and he was not disappointed. He did not only get his sight, but he was saved as well. And when he did get what he wanted, he followed Jesus. 

How about us? How do we react when we don’t seem to get what we want in the first try? Do we get angry or lose hope, or are we like the blind man whose faith was unwavering? What do I pray for right now? Do I have faith that God can grant me that? Do I have faith that he wants to, if it is according to His plan for me?  Am I willing to take a leap of faith? When God gives me what I pray for, do I remember to thank Him and live my life following Him?

May we always have faith in God's goodness, power, and love no matter what the situation may be. 


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another week to live for you. Thank you for reminding me that you do not disappoint. Thank you for reminding me how powerful and loving you are. Lord, sorry for the times I let the situation distract me. Sorry for thinking that you do not care about me or do not love me when you seem silent or when I don't get what I expect. Lord, help me improve my faith. Help me have faith and be persistent, especially when my prayers seem unanswered. May I have faith like the blind man. When faced with challenges or when I don’t get what I pray for, may my faith get stronger and still do my part. May I be brave enough to take a leap of faith, knowing you are there to guide and catch me. And Lord, when you give me what I pray for, may I never forget to thank you and live my life following you. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


November 14, 2016
Monday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 497



Reading 1 Rv 1:1-4; 2:1-5


The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave to him,
to show his servants what must happen soon.
He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,
who gives witness to the word of God
and to the testimony of Jesus Christ by reporting what he saw.
Blessed is the one who reads aloud
and blessed are those who listen to this prophetic message
and heed what is written in it, for the appointed time is near.

John, to the seven churches in Asia: grace to you and peace
from him who is and who was and who is to come,
and from the seven spirits before his throne.

I heard the Lord saying to me:
“To the angel of the Church in Ephesus, write this:

“‘Tnd that you cannot tolerate the wicked;
you have tested those who call themselves Apostles but are not,
and discovered that they are impostors.
he one who holds the seven stars in his right hand
and walks in the midst of the seven gold lampstands says this:
“I know your works, your labor, and your endurance,
aMoreover, you have endurance and have suffered for my name,
and you have not grown weary.
Yet I hold this against you:
you have lost the love you had at first.
Realize how far you have fallen.
Repent, and do the works you did at first.
Otherwise, I will come to you
and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.”’”



Responsorial Psalm Ps 1:1-2, 3, 4 and 6


R. (Rev. 2:17) Those who are victorious I will feed from the tree of life.
Blessed the man who follows not
the counsel of the wicked
Nor walks in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the company of the insolent,
But delights in the law of the LORD
and meditates on his law day and night.
R. Those who are victorious I will feed from the tree of life.
He is like a tree
planted near running water,
That yields its fruit in due season,
and whose leaves never fade.
Whatever he does, prospers.
R. Those who are victorious I will feed from the tree of life.
Not so the wicked, not so;
they are like chaff which the wind drives away.
For the LORD watches over the way of the just,
but the way of the wicked vanishes.
R. Those who are victorious I will feed from the tree of life.



Alleluia Jn 8:12


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I am the light of the world, says the Lord;
whoever follows me will have the light of life.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel Lk 18:35-43


As Jesus approached Jericho
a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging,
and hearing a crowd going by, he inquired what was happening.
They told him,
“Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.”
He shouted, “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me!”
The people walking in front rebuked him,
telling him to be silent,
but he kept calling out all the more,
“Son of David, have pity on me!”
Then Jesus stopped and ordered that he be brought to him;
and when he came near, Jesus asked him,
“What do you want me to do for you?”
He replied, “Lord, please let me see.”
Jesus told him, “Have sight; your faith has saved you.”
He immediately received his sight
and followed him, giving glory to God.
When they saw this, all the people gave praise to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...