Sunday, November 13, 2016

Work to Eat


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/111316.cfm) reminds me that I should continue working so I can eat - both in the worldly and spiritual sense. 

A lot of people love Pope Francis. And today's reading reminds me of some quotes he said about work. These quotes made me realize things and gave me a new perspective as I work. 

Work is fundamental to the dignity of a person. Work, to use an image, "anoints" us with dignity, fills us with dignity, makes us similar to God, who has worked and still works, who always acts.

And in another instance, he said that where there is no work, there is no dignity. 

This is very similar to how St Paul lived during his time. In the first reading, we can see the value of work as St Paul taught the Thessalonians: 

On the contrary, in toil and drudgery, night and day we worked,
so as not to burden any of you
if anyone was unwilling to work, neither should that one eat

He lived this. He worked hard. We should too. 

We are told not to be free riders in life. We need to work first before we eat. Work gives us the dignity to be able to provide honestly for our family. However, I believe this does not only apply to food. This also applies to God’s kingdom. We need to work first for God’s kingdom before we can enjoy it. We can’t just pray to enter God’s kingdom, to be with him in paradise. We also need to get our hands dirty and work for God, living our lives for his greater glory, for his purpose, then as the psalm says, we will eat the fruit of our handiwork..

In the gospel, we see that we need to work for God's kingdom. It may not be easy. It may be tiring and scary as we see what Jesus said. But it will be worth it. Same with his statement not to prepare for anything when questioned. It does not mean they need not do anything at all. They were just told to trust in God. And to work on their relationship with Him. God cannot talk to us if we do not know his voice. God cannot give us wisdom if we do not know it is God talking. We need to work on our relationship first before God can do this to and through us. 

Am I willing to work for God’s kingdom? Am I ready to get my hands dirty? Or am I just praying to reap the fruits, to eat, without working for it? Am I ready to work for God even if it is not easy to?

May we always be willing to work not just for food, but for God's kingdom. 


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for your word. Thank you for my work that gives me dignity and enables me to provide for my family. Thank you for reminding me the importance of working for your kingdom. Lord, sorry for the times I am unwilling to work for your kingdom. Sorry for the times I am unwilling to work on my relationship with you. And sorry for the times I do not give my best at work. Lord, give me the strength to work tirelessly for you. Give me the desire and the will to work on my relationship with you. It may not always be easy, but I know it is worth it because I am working for you, I am serving you. I ask Lord that you accept whatever little work I can offer, and use it for your purpose and for your glory. I may not understand everything, but I just surrender and work in faith, knowing that when the day comes, I will be able to reap the fruits of my labor, I will be able to eat with you in paradise. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,

-g-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 13, 2016
Thirty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 159



Reading 1 Mal 3:19-20a


Lo, the day is coming, blazing like an oven,
when all the proud and all evildoers will be stubble,
and the day that is coming will set them on fire,
leaving them neither root nor branch,
says the LORD of hosts.
But for you who fear my name, there will arise
the sun of justice with its healing rays.



Responsorial Psalm Ps 98:5-6, 7-8, 9


R. (cf. 9) The Lord comes to rule the earth with justice.
Sing praise to the LORD with the harp,
with the harp and melodious song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn
sing joyfully before the King, the LORD.
R. The Lord comes to rule the earth with justice.
Let the sea and what fills it resound,
the world and those who dwell in it;
let the rivers clap their hands,
the mountains shout with them for joy.
R. The Lord comes to rule the earth with justice.
Before the LORD, for he comes,
for he comes to rule the earth,
He will rule the world with justice
and the peoples with equity.
R. The Lord comes to rule the earth with justice.



Reading 2 2 Thes 3:7-12


Brothers and sisters:
You know how one must imitate us.
For we did not act in a disorderly way among you,
nor did we eat food received free from anyone.
On the contrary, in toil and drudgery, night and day
we worked, so as not to burden any of you.
Not that we do not have the right.
Rather, we wanted to present ourselves as a model for you,
so that you might imitate us.
In fact, when we were with you,
we instructed you that if anyone was unwilling to work,
neither should that one eat.
We hear that some are conducting themselves among you in a
disorderly way,
by not keeping busy but minding the business of others.
Such people we instruct and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to work quietly
and to eat their own food.



Alleluia Lk 21:28


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Stand erect and raise your heads
because your redemption is at hand.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel Lk 21:5-19


While some people were speaking about
how the temple was adorned with costly stones and votive offerings,
Jesus said, “All that you see here--
the days will come when there will not be left
a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down.”

Then they asked him,
“Teacher, when will this happen?
And what sign will there be when all these things are about to happen?”
He answered,
“See that you not be deceived,
for many will come in my name, saying,
‘I am he,’ and ‘The time has come.’
Do not follow them!
When you hear of wars and insurrections,
do not be terrified; for such things must happen first,
but it will not immediately be the end.”
Then he said to them,
“Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
There will be powerful earthquakes, famines, and plagues
from place to place;
and awesome sights and mighty signs will come from the sky.

“Before all this happens, however,
they will seize and persecute you,
they will hand you over to the synagogues and to prisons,
and they will have you led before kings and governors
because of my name.
It will lead to your giving testimony.
Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand,
for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking
that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute.
You will even be handed over by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends,
and they will put some of you to death.
You will be hated by all because of my name,
but not a hair on your head will be destroyed.
By your perseverance you will secure your lives.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...