Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Transformed by Love


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/041817.cfm) reminds me that God's love transforms us. 

The way other people see us affects our behavior. People who grow up in a supporting environment, with loving, supporting and encouraging family, are usually achievers. The environment they are in and the support of the people around them give them confidence in how they see themselves and what they can accomplish. On the other hand, those who grow up in tough environments become tough as well. That is why in hostile environments, even young children are exposed and lured into doing crimes. This is how powerful and influential others are in what we become. God's love also does the same. 

Allowing God to love you will make you achieve great things. God's love transforms. 

Peter was the leader of the apostles. However, this was not always the case. He was not always like this. During the toughest time in Jesus' earthly life, he abandoned them. He abandoned Jesus. He denied Jesus. That shows what he is made of. He denied Jesus when the going gets tough. He denied Jesus When it can get him in trouble and danger. Not so much of a leader, right? However, God continued to love him. And he continued to let God love him. That love of God is powerful.  God's love transforms. And in the first reading, this same man who denied Christ three times was used to convert three thousand people to the faith. Three thousand in one day. This is Probably God's way of telling him, and us, that our failures are no match for what God can do through us. Three failures versus three thousand converts in a day. A great reminder that God can use us and transform us, no matter where we are coming from. 

God loves us not just for what we are,  but for what we can be and what we are meant to be. He sees beyond the imperfections, beyond the current situation, and sees the goodness in us. He sees the potential in us. And he loves us until such time we see ourselves the way he sees us. Until we realize the great things we can do through Him.

As we look at our lives, we can see a lot of imperfections. Sins. Mistakes. Bad decisions. However, we should be encouraged and inspired by Peter. God never gave up on him. And God's love transformed him. So no matter where we are coming from, no matter how imperfect we are, we just have to let God love us and we will be transformed and can be used mightily. 

May we allow God to love and transform us until we see ourselves the way God sees us. 


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another reminder. Thank you for your love. Thank you for never giving up on me. Thank you for loving me even if I always sin and hurt and disappoint you. Sorry for the times I ignore that love. Sorry for the times That your love is still not enough for me. Sorry for looking down on myself. Lord, I ask that you Love me like you did Peter. I allow you to love me. And I wait until your transforming love takes effect. I ask that you help me see myself the way that you see me. As I become better, as I become more like you, I ask that you use me mightily for your purpose and your glory. Amen. 

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 18, 2017
Tuesday in the Octave of Easter
Lectionary: 262



Reading 1 Acts 2:36-41


On the day of Pentecost, Peter said to the Jewish people,
"Let the whole house of Israel know for certain
that God has made him both Lord and Christ,
this Jesus whom you crucified."

Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart,
and they asked Peter and the other Apostles,
"What are we to do, my brothers?"
Peter said to them,
"Repent and be baptized, every one of you,
in the name of Jesus Christ, for the forgiveness of your sins;
and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
For the promise is made to you and to your children
and to all those far off,
whomever the Lord our God will call."
He testified with many other arguments, and was exhorting them,
"Save yourselves from this corrupt generation."
Those who accepted his message were baptized,
and about three thousand persons were added that day.



Responsorial Psalm Ps 33:4-5, 18-19, 20 and 22


R. (5b) The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Upright is the word of the LORD,
and all his works are trustworthy.
He loves justice and right;
of the kindness of the LORD the earth is full.
R. The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
See, the eyes of the LORD are upon those who fear him,
upon those who hope for his kindness,
To deliver them from death
and preserve them in spite of famine.
R. The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Our soul waits for the LORD,
who is our help and our shield.
May your kindness, O LORD, be upon us
who have put our hope in you.
R. The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.



Alleluia Ps 118:24


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
This is the day the LORD has made;
let us be glad and rejoice in it.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel Jn 20:11-18


Mary Magdalene stayed outside the tomb weeping.
And as she wept, she bent over into the tomb
and saw two angels in white sitting there,
one at the head and one at the feet
where the Body of Jesus had been.
And they said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?"
She said to them, "They have taken my Lord,
and I don't know where they laid him."
When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus there,
but did not know it was Jesus.
Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?
Whom are you looking for?"
She thought it was the gardener and said to him,
"Sir, if you carried him away,
tell me where you laid him,
and I will take him."
Jesus said to her, "Mary!"
She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabbouni,"
which means Teacher.
Jesus said to her, "Stop holding on to me,
for I have not yet ascended to the Father.
But go to my brothers and tell them,
'I am going to my Father and your Father,
to my God and your God.'"
Mary went and announced to the disciples,
"I have seen the Lord,"
and then reported what he had told her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...