Saturday, October 28, 2017

Iron Man and Jesus


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102817.cfm) reminds me how important and powerful it is to have Jesus at the center of my life. 

Iron man is one of the more famous superheroes. He is powerful and intelligent, both as Tony Stark and as Iron Man. As iron man, he is a very strong superhero, having great powers in his armour. However, what really powers him is the small arc reactor in his chest. This arc reactor enables him to do great things and gives him superhuman abilities. Without this reactor, it will be very difficult for him to do what he does, even with his armor. 

What is the relationship between iron man and me? Just as the Arc Reactor is the center of and power's Iron Man, Jesus Christ should be the center of my life so he can empower me. 

and members of the household of God,
built upon the foundation of the Apostles and prophets,
with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone.

In the first reading, We are reminded to make Christ the capstone, the center, the foundation of our lives. Like iron man and his reactor, we can only do great things if Jesus is in the center of our lives. We can only achieve real greatness if he is in our hearts, and if we allow Him to control our lives. On our own, our abilities are very limited, but with God’s power, we can achieve great things with whatever we have. As we put Jesus in the center of our lives and allow Him to control us, he will take what we have, and magnify it for his purpose, for his glory.

We see this in action in the gospel. Jesus prayed overnight. It shows that God is in the center of his life. God is the one powering him and giving him direction and inspiration. Then he chose his apostles afterwards. He shows who should be in the center of our life. 

Is Jesus in the center of my life? Do I allow him to control my life? What prevents me from making him the center and from giving him total control of my life? Do I realize that I can start with prayer and building a relationship with him, and from there, he can and will slowly consume me, if I let him?

May we be move to make Jesus Christ the center of our lives, and allow him to take control, to empower, and to use us mightily for his purpose and his glory. 


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for the reminder. Thank you for the weekend. Thank you for your love. Lord, sorry for the times I do not make you the center of my life. Sorry for focusing on other things. Sorry for not giving you full control of my life. Lord, I ask that you help me surrender to you. help me give my life to you and make you the center of my life. I know that it is only through this that I can do great things for you. I know that without you, I can do nothing, so help me stay in you and I have faith that you will slowly consume me, empower me, and use me mightily. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


October 28, 2017
Feast of Saints Simon and Jude, Apostles
Lectionary: 666



Reading 1EPH 2:19-22


Brothers and sisters:
You are no longer strangers and sojourners,
but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones
and members of the household of God, 
built upon the foundation of the Apostles and prophets,
with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone.
Through him the whole structure is held together
and grows into a temple sacred in the Lord;
in him you also are being built together
into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.


Responsorial PsalmPS 19:2-3, 4-5


R. (5a) Their message goes out through all the earth.
The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the firmament proclaims his handiwork.
Day pours out the word to day,
and night to night imparts knowledge.
R. Their message goes out through all the earth.
Not a word nor a discourse
whose voice is not heard;
Through all the earth their voice resounds,
and to the ends of the world, their message.
R. Their message goes out through all the earth.


Alleluia See Te Deum


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as Lord;
the glorious company of Apostles praise you.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


GospelLK 6:12-16


Jesus went up to the mountain to pray,
and he spent the night in prayer to God.
When day came, he called his disciples to himself,
and from them he chose Twelve, whom he also named Apostles:
Simon, whom he named Peter, and his brother Andrew,
James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew,
Thomas, James the son of Alphaeus,
Simon who was called a Zealot,
and Judas the son of James,
and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...