Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Response to the Call




The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/011018.cfm) reminds me that I should respond correctly when God calls me. 



We react differently when being called upon. Some respond with fear to leaders or strict people who calls us. Some respond with annoyance when someone calls them repeatedly. Some feel surprised or clueless when called upon. And some feel excited and ready when being called, especially if by loved ones. 




We should be able to recognize God calling us. 




In the first reading, we see God calling Samuel. He did not just call him once, but he persistently did until Samuel was able to recognize Him. He was very patient with Samuel, and used Eli to tech Samuel how to respond. And when samuel listened to Eli, God eventually revealed himself to him and was with him as he was growing up.

God calls us in different ways, and he never tires of calling us




It is inspiring to see how Samuel acted. At first he did not know. But when he understood and experienced God, he did not stop there. He lived a life pleasing to God. That is why God was with him as he was growing up. This is also how Jesus responded to God's call to serve. In the gospel, we see how one he was with God. He prayed after working hard, and went to a different place even if people were looking for him. He knew where God wanted him to go, so he continued to follow him. 

Nowadays, it is very easy to ignore God’s voice. We are so busy with a lot of things. Life has become complicated. Sometimes there is no space for God in our everyday life. Good thing God is very persuasive and creative, and will not stop until we recognize and hear his call. However, he will not force us to say yes, to acknowledge him and to obey him. He will just call us persistently until we find it in our hearts to respond with our yes.


May we echo Samuel’s reply when we hear and recognize God calling us – Lord, here I am, I come to do your will.




Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for another chance to experience your love. And thank you for another opportunity for you to call me and for me to hear your call. Lord, Sorry for the times I do not recognize your voice. Worse, sorry for the times I ignore even if I know it is you calling. Sorry for being hard headed. I pray that I become sensitive to you. May I never be too busy to miss your call. May I recognize your soft voice calling to me. And I pray that you give me the desire to always say yes when you call me. Amen.



Blessed day!



In Christ,

-g-



----------------------



January 10, 2018




« January 9  |  January 11 »

Wednesday of the First Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 307


Reading 1 1 Sm 3:1-10, 19-20


During the time young Samuel was minister to the LORD under Eli,
a revelation of the LORD was uncommon and vision infrequent.
One day Eli was asleep in his usual place.
His eyes had lately grown so weak that he could not see.
The lamp of God was not yet extinguished,
and Samuel was sleeping in the temple of the LORD
where the ark of God was.
The LORD called to Samuel, who answered, "Here I am."

Samuel ran to Eli and said, "Here I am. You called me."
"I did not call you," Eli said. "Go back to sleep."
So he went back to sleep.
Again the LORD called Samuel, who rose and went to Eli.
"Here I am," he said. "You called me."
But Eli answered, "I did not call you, my son. Go back to sleep."
At that time Samuel was not familiar with the LORD,
because the LORD had not revealed anything to him as yet.
The LORD called Samuel again, for the third time.
Getting up and going to Eli, he said, "Here I am.
You called me."
Then Eli understood that the LORD was calling the youth.
So Eli said to Samuel, "Go to sleep, and if you are called, reply,
'Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.'"
When Samuel went to sleep in his place,
the LORD came and revealed his presence,
calling out as before, "Samuel, Samuel!"
Samuel answered, "Speak, for your servant is listening."

Samuel grew up, and the LORD was with him,
not permitting any word of his to be without effect.
Thus all Israel from Dan to Beersheba
came to know that Samuel was an accredited prophet of the LORD.


Responsorial Psalm Ps 40:2 and 5, 7-8a, 8b-9, 10


R. (8a and 9a) Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
I have waited, waited for the LORD,
and he stooped toward me and heard my cry.
Blessed the man who makes the LORD his trust;
who turns not to idolatry
or to those who stray after falsehood.
R. 
Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
Sacrifice or oblation you wished not,
but ears open to obedience you gave me.
Burnt offerings or sin-offerings you sought not;
then said I, "Behold I come."
R. 
Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
"In the written scroll it is prescribed for me.
To do your will, O my God, is my delight,
and your law is within my heart!"
R. 
Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
I announced your justice in the vast assembly;
I did not restrain my lips, as you, O LORD, know.
R. 
Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.


Allelluia Jn 10:27


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord.
I know them, and they follow me.
R. 
Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel Mk 1:29-39


On leaving the synagogue
Jesus entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John.
Simon's mother-in-law lay sick with a fever.
They immediately told him about her.
He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up.
Then the fever left her and she waited on them.

When it was evening, after sunset,
they brought to him all who were ill or possessed by demons.
The whole town was gathered at the door.
He cured many who were sick with various diseases,
and he drove out many demons,
not permitting them to speak because they knew him.

Rising very early before dawn,
he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed.
Simon and those who were with him pursued him
and on finding him said, "Everyone is looking for you."
He told them, "Let us go on to the nearby villages
that I may preach there also.
For this purpose have I come."
So he went into their synagogues, preaching and driving out demons
throughout the whole of Galilee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...