Monday, January 15, 2018

Start Anew




The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/011518.cfm) reminds me of the opportunities we have to start anew, and the importance of making the most out of it. 



In the gospel, we see that we cannot mix the old and new – old wineskins and new wine, old cloak and new one. Combining them would ruin everything. Old for old, new for new. 


No one sews a piece of unshrunken cloth on an old cloak.
If he does, its fullness pulls away,
the new from the old, and the tear gets worse.
Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins.
Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins,
and both the wine and the skins are ruined.
Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins.


What is God telling us? I believe this is a reminder from God that there are only two options: to follow him or not. We are encouraged to turn from our old way of life – from living a worldly life to living a life for God. We  should choose who we would live our life for, who we would follow. We cannot say that we follow God only in some aspects of our lives we are comfortable with, and follow what we want in some aspects. It is an all or nothing thing – for God or not, the old life or the new life in Christ.




This is what we saw in the first reading. God was displeased with Saul. Yes, he followed God in some aspects. He fought for God. He won battles. However, he was not firm in faith. He let the people do what they want, even if God would not be pleased with those. He let the people get unclean things, and let them offer it to their gods. Their gods, not to God who made them win, who blessed them. Followed in some ways, not in all. So God was unhappy with Saul. 

Letting go is hard


We usually do not find it easy to let go of old things, much more old habits. In the gospel, we see that it is difficult for people used to old wine to give the new wine a chance, because old wine is better, because they are used to the old wine. However, we are challenged to go beyond this. It is hard to live a new life in Christ. It is more comfortable to stay in the old way of living. It is fun to stay in the old way of living. Mahirap, but once we give God a chance and live a new life in Christ, we will experience joy and happiness that our old life cannot give. 



As we live a new life in Christ and delight in the Lord, he will give us the desires of our heart


This does not necessarily mean that once we choose him, we will get everything we want. On the other hand, we get much more than that. As we choose him, he will slowly change our ways and our hearts so that everything we desire is what God wants us to desire, is what God wants for us. Then, he will pour our his blessings on us as he sees fit.


As we start the year, we made new year's resolutions. We want to change our ways. Improve our ways. However, it may be difficult. It may be challenging. We are reminded today to move forward, to carry on and persevere to be what God wants us to be. To improve. To be better. And to be more like him. It may be difficult, but it will be worth it. 

What bad and old things, habits, people and relationships am I holding on to? What makes it hard for me to let go, even if I know they are harmful, even if I know God wants me to let go? Am I willing to give God a chance and live a new life in Him? Do I have faith that as I choose Him, he will satisfy my heart’s innermost desires?




May we have the will and desire to start anew and make our best effort to be better and be more like Him. 



Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another day to experience your love. Thank you for another week. Thank you for the opportunity to begin anew, to be better. Thank you for your word that reminds me how much you love us by wanting what is best for me. Lord, I ask that you help me let go – of all the harmful things, habits, addictions, people and relationships in my life. Help me let go of everything that is not of you. I know that this is necessary so you can fill me with everything you want me to have. Fill me with your love and blessings. May I give you a chance as I live a new life in you. Help me always choose you in my life. Make me more like you. Amen.



Blessed Week!



In Christ,

-g-



---------------------------------------------------------------





January 15, 2018


Monday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 311


Reading 1 1 Sm 15:16-23


Samuel said to Saul:
"Stop! Let me tell you what the LORD said to me last night."
Saul replied, "Speak!"
Samuel then said: "Though little in your own esteem,
are you not leader of the tribes of Israel?
The LORD anointed you king of Israel and sent you on a mission, saying,
'Go and put the sinful Amalekites under a ban of destruction.
Fight against them until you have exterminated them.'
Why then have you disobeyed the LORD?
You have pounced on the spoil, thus displeasing the LORD."
Saul answered Samuel: "I did indeed obey the LORD
and fulfill the mission on which the LORD sent me.
I have brought back Agag, and I have destroyed Amalek under the ban.
But from the spoil the men took sheep and oxen,
the best of what had been banned,
to sacrifice to the LORD their God in Gilgal."
But Samuel said:
"Does the LORD so delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as in obedience to the command of the LORD?
Obedience is better than sacrifice,
and submission than the fat of rams.
For a sin like divination is rebellion,
and presumption is the crime of idolatry.
Because you have rejected the command of the LORD,
he, too, has rejected you as ruler."


Responsorial Psalm Ps 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21 And 23


R. (23b) To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you,
for your burnt offerings are before me always.
I take from your house no bullock,
no goats out of your fold."
R. 
To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"Why do you recite my statutes,
and profess my covenant with your mouth,
Though you hate discipline
and cast my words behind you?"
R. 
To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it?
Or do you think that I am like yourself?
I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes.
He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me;
and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God."
R. 
To the upright I will show the saving power of God.


Alleluia Hb 4:12


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
The word of God is living and effective,
able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart.
R.
 Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel Mk 2:18-22


The disciples of John and of the Pharisees were accustomed to fast.
People came to Jesus and objected,
"Why do the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fast,
but your disciples do not fast?"
Jesus answered them,
"Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them?
As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast.
But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them,
and then they will fast on that day.
No one sews a piece of unshrunken cloth on an old cloak.
If he does, its fullness pulls away,
the new from the old, and the tear gets worse.
Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins.
Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins,
and both the wine and the skins are ruined.
Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...