Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Double Life


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/022718.cfm) reminds me that I should not live a double life.

In the movie “The Amazing Spider Man”, there was a line by Aunt May to Peter Parker. “Secrets have a cost. They’re not free.” We know how applicable it was in the movie, but I believe this is true as well even to us, normal human beings. Secrets have a cost. Spider man was living a double life. He is Peter Parker and Spider Man. Some of us, too, have double lives. We may not have a different identity, we may not be a superhero, but we are living double lives if we are not living consistently with what we say.


In the gospel, the scribes and Pharisees know what they should do. Even Jesus acknowledges this. Do and observe whatever they tell you” These Pharisees and scribes know how we should behave, how God wants us to behave. But they are not living it. Jesus further says – “but do not follow their example” Yes, double lives.. What you say is different from what you actually do.


Words and actions go hand in hand. They should be in agreement with each other. 


Sometimes, we may not realize, but we may already be living double lives. We know what God wants. We know the 10 commandments, we know we should be good people, we know the importance of fasting, prayer and almsgiving. However, we may not necessarily do these things. We may say these, but we may not do these things, especially when no one is watching us, when no one can see what we are doing. It is easy to be good when you’re with good people, with church friends, with people who have the same values as you. However, when we are with other people, people who do not necessarily value these things, we may get carried away and act differently from what we say, from what we know, from how we act when we’re with church friends. Double lives.


In what ways am I living double lives? Do I have secrets? What are the bad habits and vices I cannot let go? What is keeping me from letting go of these things? Am I willing to let God control my life?


May we be conscious of how God wants us to live, and strive to live right and pleasing to God. May we live our faith and knowledge of God.



Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for reminding me to live a life consistent with your ways all the time. Thank you for challenging me not to live a double life. I am sorry Lord for living a double life sometimes. Sometimes I act differently or behave differently when I am with other people, when no one can see me. I forget that you Lord always see what I do. Help me live right. Help me live pleasing to you. Help me live my faith. I pray that you give me the strength to submit to you and follow you all the time. Amen.



Blessed day!



In Christ,

-g-





February 27, 2018

Tuesday of the Second Week of Lent
Lectionary: 231


Reading 1 IS 1:10, 16-20

Hear the word of the LORD,
princes of Sodom!
Listen to the instruction of our God,
people of Gomorrah!

Wash yourselves clean!
Put away your misdeeds from before my eyes;
cease doing evil; learn to do good.
Make justice your aim: redress the wronged,
hear the orphan's plea, defend the widow.

Come now, let us set things right,
says the LORD:
Though your sins be like scarlet,
they may become white as snow;
Though they be crimson red,
they may become white as wool.
If you are willing, and obey,
you shall eat the good things of the land;
But if you refuse and resist,
the sword shall consume you:
for the mouth of the LORD has spoken!

Responsorial Psalm PS 50:8-9, 16BC-17, 21 AND 23

R. (23b) To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"Not for your sacrifices do I rebuke you,
for your burnt offerings are before me always.
I take from your house no bullock,
no goats out of your fold."
R.
 To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"Why do you recite my statutes,
and profess my covenant with your mouth,
Though you hate discipline
and cast my words behind you?"
R. 
To the upright I will show the saving power of God.
"When you do these things, shall I be deaf to it?
Or do you think that I am like yourself?
I will correct you by drawing them up before your eyes.
He that offers praise as a sacrifice glorifies me;
and to him that goes the right way I will show the salvation of God."
R. 
To the upright I will show the saving power of God.

Verse Before The Gospel  EZ 18:31

Cast away from you all the crimes you have committed, says the LORD,
and make for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit.

Gospel MT 23:1-12

Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying,
"The scribes and the Pharisees
have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,
but do not follow their example.
For they preach but they do not practice.
They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry
and lay them on people's shoulders,
but they will not lift a finger to move them.
All their works are performed to be seen.
They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.
They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues,
greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.'
As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.'
You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.
Call no one on earth your father;
you have but one Father in heaven.
Do not be called 'Master';
you have but one master, the Christ.
The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled;
but whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...