Saturday, February 3, 2018

Seek God


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/020318.cfm) reminds me that God rewards those who genuinely seek Him. 



When we are looking for something really important, we give a lot of effort to it. We do whatever we can to find it. We let go of other things so we can focus on finding what we are looking for. Sometimes we even ask the help of others. This is also how we should act when we look for God. 


In the first reading, we see something similar. Solomon asked for what he needed to serve God and his people. He did not ask for worldly riches or power. He asked for wisdom. He asked for God - to know him and to be guided by him as he rules the people. This shows what is in his heart, what is really important for him. And we see that God rewarded him with what he asked for, and more. 

God rewards those who seek him. 



We also see this in the gospel. Jesus and his disciples have been working hard. They need rest. They are tired. But when Jesus saw that people genuinely want to find him, that they made the effort and went out of their way to hear him speak and get to know him, Jesus obliged. He rewarded those people even if he was tired. 




If we seek God with all our hearts, we will find him. The bible tells us so. And as we seek him, as we show him our hearts and what is important to us, he will reward us with not just what we ask, but with more. Because he knows we can take it, and we will use these rewards and share them with others. 


May we work on our relationship with God, and seek him with all of our hearts. As we do so, let us have faith that we will find him, and will be rewarded with more than our heart desires. 




Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another day to love and serve you. Thank you for another weekend. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for looking for worldly things. Sorry for being busy with work, with life, with worldly things, that I forget you. Sorry for not having the desire and for not making the effort to find you. Help me be like Solomon. May I never get lost and twisted in the world. May I always know and recognize you. May I always give you importance. And may I always seek you in my life, in my little and big decisions in life. Amen. 



Blessed Weekend!



In Christ,

-g-







February 3, 2018

Saturday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 328




Reading 1 1 Kgs 3:4-13

Solomon went to Gibeon to sacrifice there,
because that was the most renowned high place.
Upon its altar Solomon offered a thousand burnt offerings.
In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream at night.
God said, "Ask something of me and I will give it to you."
Solomon answered:
"You have shown great favor to your servant, my father David,
because he behaved faithfully toward you,
with justice and an upright heart;
and you have continued this great favor toward him, even today,
seating a son of his on his throne.
O LORD, my God, you have made me, your servant,
king to succeed my father David;
but I am a mere youth, not knowing at all how to act.
I serve you in the midst of the people whom you have chosen,
a people so vast that it cannot be numbered or counted.
Give your servant, therefore, an understanding heart
to judge your people and to distinguish right from wrong.
For who is able to govern this vast people of yours?"

The LORD was pleased that Solomon made this request.
So God said to him: "Because you have asked for this–
not for a long life for yourself,
nor for riches, nor for the life of your enemies,
but for understanding so that you may know what is right–
I do as you requested.
I give you a heart so wise and understanding
that there has never been anyone like you up to now,
and after you there will come no one to equal you.
In addition, I give you what you have not asked for,
such riches and glory that among kings there is not your like."


Responsorial Psalm PS 119:9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

R. (12b) Lord, teach me your statutes.
How shall a young man be faultless in his way?
By keeping to your words.
R. 
Lord, teach me your statutes.
With all my heart I seek you;
let me not stray from your commands.R. Lord, teach me your statutes.
Within my heart I treasure your promise,
that I may not sin against you.
R. 
Lord, teach me your statutes.
Blessed are you, O LORD;
teach me your statutes.
R. 
Lord, teach me your statutes.
With my lips I declare
all the ordinances of your mouth.
R. 
Lord, teach me your statutes.
In the way of your decrees I rejoice,
as much as in all riches.
R. 
Lord, teach me your statutes.




Alleluia Jn 10:27

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord;
I know them, and they follow me.
R.
 Alleluia, alleluia.




Gospel Mk 6:30-34



The Apostles gathered together with Jesus
and reported all they had done and taught.
He said to them,
“Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.”
People were coming and going in great numbers,
and they had no opportunity even to eat.
So they went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place.
People saw them leaving and many came to know about it.
They hastened there on foot from all the towns
and arrived at the place before them.

When Jesus disembarked and saw the vast crowd,
his heart was moved with pity for them,
for they were like sheep without a shepherd;
and he began to teach them many things.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...