Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Beyond Superficial


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/101618.cfm) reminds me that I should work to be clean beyond the superficial level. 


There is a saying that “you are what you eat.” If you eat healthy food, you eventually become healthy. If you eat unhealthy, oily and fatty food, you will become unhealthy and fatty as well. This is because what we take in from outside makes what we are inside, and what we are inside manifests outside as well.

This is what Jesus was talking about in the gospel. The Pharisees were hypocrites, cleaning the outside appearance but are very dirty inside. Their focus was on the outside, following the laws and traditions, rather than cleaning their lives from inside. They were more concerned on the strict observance of the law, rather than learn the real meaning of it through Jesus.

Cleaning the inside is more difficult, but more effective. Being clean outside can easily be disturbed. Madaling madumihan sa labas. But what is inside, if clean, cannot be easily dirtied. It takes more time cleaning what is inside, our values, our way of living, our faith - but if they are clean, they will be manifested on the outside. On how we treat each other. On how we live. This is what God wants from us.


What do I prioritize in life, the outside which is easily seen and can be easily cleaned, or the inside, which is harder to clean but more important? Do I love and serve God more than the superficial level? What do I do to improve my relationship with Him?

May we remember that whatever is inside, whatever we are trying to hide, will eventually be manifested outside. And may we focus on cleaning the inside, the core, the important things - and not just what is visible outside. 

Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for the reminder. Thank you for being patient with me. Thank you for loving me so much and for blessing me even if I do not deserve them. Lord, Sorry for the times I focus on the outside and how other people see me. Sorry for being superficial. Sorry for not spending the time and effort to clean the inside, to clean my heart and soul, which is more important for you. Help me do it right. Help me know what is important. May I work on cleaning the inside of my heart, of my life, rather than work on the things other people readily see. As I clean my life, may I be transformed to become more like you. In a special way, I lift up those who are celebrating their birthdays today especially my dad. I ask that you continue to bless him and fill him with your love and goodness, and keep him healthy and safe. Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-




October 16, 2018

Tuesday of the Twenty-eighth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 468


Reading 1 GAL 5:1-6

Brothers and sisters:
For freedom Christ set us free;
so stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery.

It is I, Paul, who am telling you
that if you have yourselves circumcised,
Christ will be of no benefit to you.
Once again I declare to every man who has himself circumcised
that he is bound to observe the entire law.
You are separated from Christ,
you who are trying to be justified by law;
you have fallen from grace.
For through the Spirit, by faith, we await the hope of righteousness.
For in Christ Jesus,
neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything,
but only faith working through love.


Responsorial Psalm PS 119:41, 43, 44, 45, 47, 48

R. (41a) Let your mercy come to me, O Lord.
Let your mercy come to me, O LORD,
your salvation according to your promise.
R. Let your mercy come to me, O Lord.
Take not the word of truth from my mouth,
for in your ordinances is my hope.
R. Let your mercy come to me, O Lord.
And I will keep your law continually,
forever and ever.
R. Let your mercy come to me, O Lord.
And I will walk at liberty,
because I seek your precepts.
R. Let your mercy come to me, O Lord.
And I will delight in your commands,
which I love.
R. Let your mercy come to me, O Lord.
And I will lift up my hands to your commands
and meditate on your statutes.
R. Let your mercy come to me, O Lord.


Alleluia HEB 4:12

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
The word of God is living and effective,
able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel LK 11:37-41

After Jesus had spoken,
a Pharisee invited him to dine at his home.
He entered and reclined at table to eat.
The Pharisee was amazed to see
that he did not observe the prescribed washing before the meal.
The Lord said to him, "Oh you Pharisees!
Although you cleanse the outside of the cup and the dish,
inside you are filled with plunder and evil.
You fools!
Did not the maker of the outside also make the inside?
But as to what is within, give alms,
and behold, everything will be clean for you."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...