Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Hang On



The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/100218.cfmreminds me to hang on and have faith in God, especially when times are extremely tough. 


We may have all experienced times when we just wanted to give up. Problems are so overwhelming. There are a lot of issues and concerns. People are not helpful. They sometimes bring you down even more. It is so tempting to just quit. However, we are reminded that during these times, the more we should hold on to God and his love. 


In the first reading, we see Job frustrated. Job was tired. He wanted to end it all. He wanted to give up. Good thing he did not. For we know what happened to Job, how God rewarded his faithfulness with more than what he lost. God will also do this to us. 


The darker the night, the brighter the star. 


When we feel like giving up, we should focus not on the pain and difficulty that we are feeling, but on God. We should hold on to God's words. We should hold on to his love. We should hold on to our faith, that God is protecting us and guiding us every step of the way.  And the more we focus on his love, the more we focus on his power, the more we will realize how bright he is amidst the darkness of the night. The more we will realize we are not alone, and that God has always been there with us. 


What instances in life did I become frustrated and so tired? What led me to that moment? How do I react? Do I give in to sin and vices to cope, or do I have faith in God’s goodness and faithfulness? How did God remind me of his love during these situations?


May we be inspired to hold on and have great faith, especially when times are extremely tough. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for another reminder. Thank you for our guardian angels who we celebrate today. Lord, sorry for the times I let my problems overwhelm me. Sorry for the times I let the world weigh me down. Sorry for giving up. Sorry for not focusing on you. Help me be like Job. Help me be resilient and just focus in you. Help me deal with these things the way you want me to. May I see your light and love shine brightly especially during the darkest of night. Amen. 



Blessed Day!



In Christ,

-g-




October 2, 2018

Memorial of the Guardian Angels
Lectionary: 456/650



Job opened his mouth and cursed his day.
Job spoke out and said:

Perish the day on which I was born,
the night when they said, "The child is a boy!"

Why did I not perish at birth,
come forth from the womb and expire?
Or why was I not buried away like an untimely birth,
like babes that have never seen the light?
Wherefore did the knees receive me?
or why did I suck at the breasts?

For then I should have lain down and been tranquil;
had I slept, I should then have been at rest
With kings and counselors of the earth
who built where now there are ruins
Or with princes who had gold
and filled their houses with silver.

There the wicked cease from troubling,
there the weary are at rest.

Why is light given to the toilers,
and life to the bitter in spirit?
They wait for death and it comes not;
they search for it rather than for hidden treasures,
Rejoice in it exultingly,
and are glad when they reach the grave:
Those whose path is hidden from them,
and whom God has hemmed in!


Responsorial Psalm PS 88:2-3, 4-5, 6, 7-8

R. (3) Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
O LORD, my God, by day I cry out;
at night I clamor in your presence.
Let my prayer come before you;
incline your ear to my call for help.
R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
For my soul is surfeited with troubles
and my life draws near to the nether world.
I am numbered with those who go down into the pit;
I am a man without strength.
R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
My couch is among the dead,
like the slain who lie in the grave,
Whom you remember no longer
and who are cut off from your care.
R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.
You have plunged me into the bottom of the pit,
into the dark abyss.
Upon me your wrath lies heavy,
and with all your billows you overwhelm me.
R. Let my prayer come before you, Lord.


Alleluia PS 103:21

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Bless the LORD, all you angels,
you ministers, who do his will.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 18:1-5, 10

The disciples approached Jesus and said,
"Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven?"
He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said,
"Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children,
you will not enter the Kingdom of heaven.
Whoever humbles himself like this child
is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.
And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me.

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones,
for I say to you that their angels in heaven
always look upon the face of my heavenly Father."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...