Wednesday, January 16, 2019

He Can Relate


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/011619.cfm) reminds me that Jesus can relate to what I am feeling. 


They say that those who have been where you are can help you a lot. For example, former drug dependents or alcoholics can greatly help those who are currently in that situation. Older students who have experienced and went through the struggles and challenges of current students can not only help, but inspire them. They know how it felt, and more importantly, they have overcome the situation, which makes their help or advice more valuable. This is similar to what Jesus can give us. 


Jesus knows what you are feeling. He can relate to you. Trust Him. 


Jesus is the son of God. But he became man not so he can relate to us, but so that we can relate to Him. He is human like us. He felt hunger. He felt pain. He felt weariness. He felt anxiety. He felt temptations. Yes, he was tempted. And he is like us in all aspects - except sin. This is why he knows what we are going through. He knows our pain and struggles. He knows our fears and worries. That is why we can come to Him. In the first reading, we see that he chose to help us humans so we can be like him. So we can be free. That is why he became like us. 


We should look to Jesus. He knows how to live. He knows how important and powerful it is to trust and have a deep relationship with God. We see this in the gospel, where after working for God, Jesus did not just rest and gave himself a pat on the back. His actions show us what is important to him. He rose early to pray. He woke up to give effort in strengthening what is important to Him - his relationship with God. This shows us how important this is, especially to us. 


Jesus became human like us. He knows what we are feeling. And he knows what we should do about them. He knows how to win over them. We should come to him, trust him, imitate him and let him take control of us. 


Who is Jesus for me? Is he an abstract concept or do I have a personal relationship with Him? What is he telling me today? How can I have a deeper relationship with him and with God? 


May we have faith and come to Him, trust him, and obey him. 



Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another day to love and serve you. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I do not trust you. Sorry for the times I rely on just myself. Help me humble myself before you. Remind me that you know what i am going through and I should just come to you. I know you can relate to me. I know you know what I should do. I will do my best to do this, and to follow you. Help me live right. Help me live in a way pleasing to you. Make me more like you. Amen. 



Blessed Day!



In Christ,

-g-








January 16 2019

Wednesday of the First Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 307

Reading 1 HEB 2:14-18

Since the children share in blood and Flesh,
Jesus likewise shared in them,
that through death he might destroy the one
who has the power of death, that is, the Devil,
and free those who through fear of death
had been subject to slavery all their life.
Surely he did not help angels
but rather the descendants of Abraham;
therefore, he had to become like his brothers and sisters in every way,  
that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest before God
to expiate the sins of the people.
Because he himself was tested through what he suffered,
he is able to help those who are being tested.


Responsorial Psalm PS 105:1-2, 3-4, 6-7, 8-9

R. (8a)  The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Give thanks to the LORD, invoke his name;
make known among the nations his deeds.
Sing to him, sing his praise,
proclaim all his wondrous deeds.
R. The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Glory in his holy name;
rejoice, O hearts that seek the LORD!
Look to the LORD in his strength;
seek to serve him constantly.
R. The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.
or:
R. Alleluia.
You descendants of Abraham, his servants,
sons of Jacob, his chosen ones!
He, the LORD, is our God;
throughout the earth his judgments prevail.
R. The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.
or:
R. Alleluia.
He remembers forever his covenant
which he made binding for a thousand generationsB
Which he entered into with Abraham
and by his oath to Isaac.
R. The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.
or:
R.  Alleluia.


Alleluia JN 10:27

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
My sheep hear my voice, says the Lord.
I know them, and they follow me.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MK 1:29-39

On leaving the synagogue
Jesus entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John.
Simon's mother-in-law lay sick with a fever.
They immediately told him about her.
He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up.
Then the fever left her and she waited on them.

When it was evening, after sunset,
they brought to him all who were ill or possessed by demons.
The whole town was gathered at the door.
He cured many who were sick with various diseases,
and he drove out many demons,
not permitting them to speak because they knew him.

Rising very early before dawn,
he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed.
Simon and those who were with him pursued him
and on finding him said, "Everyone is looking for you."
He told them, "Let us go on to the nearby villages
that I may preach there also.
For this purpose have I come."
So he went into their synagogues, preaching and driving out demons
throughout the whole of Galilee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...