Wednesday, January 23, 2019

No Compromise


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/012319.cfm) reminds me that I should never compromise my values. 


If you quit ONCE, it becomes a habit. Never quit.


This is a quote from one of the greatest, if not the greatest basketball player – Michael Jordan. It actually makes sense. All it takes to start something is one small step, and doing something even for just once can cause it to become normal, to become a habit. This is why for him, we should never quit. And This is why it is important to never compromise your values.


In the gospel, we see Jesus healing a sick man. He knew that people would take it against him If he healed the man. They would witness him doing the healing work and breaking the Sabbath law, and he could get into trouble for that. However, Jesus did not compromise his values and his mission. No matter what other people may think or do, he just did what he knew God is asking him to do. 

We should never compromise our values, whatever situation we may be facing. 

People may be powerful in this world, but God is more powerful. We are not accountable to people as we are with God. We should focus on doing what is right, what God wants, and not on conforming to powerful people in this world. We should be like Jesus who was faithful to what God wants him to do, despite the risk he was facing.

Can we say we have the same attitude as Jesus? There are times when it’s easy to compromise. We sometimes think that we can compromise once in a while, and we will just double the effort next time. But we may not know that this is leading us to make compromising a habit, that we are unknowingly changing our standards just because of a seemingly innocent “one compromise.” 


How do I live my faith? Do I take it seriously? Do I live my faith and values all the time, or just when it is comfortable for me? How does God want me to live my faith? Am I willing? 


May we be reminded and encouraged to be like Jesus, who never compromises his values and is always focused on doing God’s work, no matter what other people may say, think or do.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for the reminder that you don’t want me to compromise. Sorry for the times I compromise my faith. Sorry for the times I compromise my values. Help me have the resolve to stay firm, especially when circumstances tempt me otherwise. May I constantly and consistently prove my love and devotion to you with my actions and decisions. Amen.



Blessed Day!



In Christ,

-g-






January 23 2019

Wednesday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 313

Reading 1 HEB 7:1-3, 15-17

Melchizedek, king of Salem and priest of God Most High,
met Abraham as he returned from his defeat of the kings

and blessed him.
And Abraham apportioned to him a tenth of everything.
His name first means righteous king,
and he was also "king of Salem," that is, king of peace.
Without father, mother, or ancestry,
without beginning of days or end of life,
thus made to resemble the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.

It is even more obvious if another priest is raised up
after the likeness of Melchizedek, who has become so,
not by a law expressed in a commandment concerning physical descent
but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed.
For it is testified:

You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.


Responsorial Psalm PS 110:1, 2, 3, 4

R. (4b)  You are a priest for ever, in the line of Melchizedek.
The LORD said to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand
till I make your enemies your footstool."
R. You are a priest for ever, in the line of Melchizedek.
The scepter of your power the LORD will stretch forth from Zion:
"Rule in the midst of your enemies."
R. You are a priest for ever, in the line of Melchizedek.
"Yours is princely power in the day of your birth, in holy splendor;
before the daystar, like the dew, I have begotten you."
R. You are a priest for ever, in the line of Melchizedek.
The LORD has sworn, and he will not repent:
"You are a priest forever, according to the order of Melchizedek."
R. You are a priest for ever, in the line of Melchizedek.


Alleluia SEE MT 4:23

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Jesus preached the Gospel of the Kingdom
and cured every disease among the people.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MK 3:1-6

Jesus entered the synagogue.
There was a man there who had a withered hand.
They watched Jesus closely
to see if he would cure him on the sabbath
so that they might accuse him.
He said to the man with the withered hand,
"Come up here before us."
Then he said to the Pharisees,
"Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil,
to save life rather than to destroy it?"
But they remained silent.
Looking around at them with anger
and grieved at their hardness of heart,
Jesus said to the man, "Stretch out your hand."
He stretched it out and his hand was restored.
The Pharisees went out and immediately took counsel
with the Herodians against him to put him to death.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...