Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Just Because


The WORD today reminds me that God gives us blessings just because He loves us. 


I am a believer of “just because” gifts. You don’t need an occasion to give gifts. It is actually what makes the gift more special. You don’t need an occasion to give flowers or simple gifts to your love ones. Gifts should be given not out of duty for an occasion, but out of love. This is what Jesus did to the woman in the gospel.


Most probably, Jesus did not know who the woman was. The woman probably did not know who Jesus was, and did not even ask him to help her. Jesus just knows she is a widow, and after losing her only son, she now is considered very little in society(because women at that time get their identity from their husbands and their sons). That’s why Jesus had pity on her. She has no husband. She has no son. She was practically helpless. She was not only grieving, she was also probably afraid of what will happen to her. Afraid of how she will live. This was probably why Jesus healed the son and gave her back to her mother.


Just because.

God does to us as well. There are a lot of things we do not pray for. There are a lot of things we certainly do not deserve. Blessings abound, to the point that we don’t consider them blessings anymore. The mere fact we have work, can read and write, can eat – these are some blessings we sometimes take for granted, just because God has always given us these, and because we see these in others as well. But it is out of God’s love and goodness that we have these. Looking in our lives, we see other specific blessings – things we unexpectedly get, things we do not deserve, favors that go our way.. these things are reminders of God’s love and blessings, not because we ask for them or deserve them, but just because God loves us so much. 


What things or blessings do I sometimes take for granted? Why do I take these things for granted? What things and blessings have I received that I have not prayed for or asked God for? What do these things remind me of? 


May we be more conscious and aware of God’s “just because” blessings and gifts in our lives. And may it lead us to thank him and love him more.


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another Tuesday. Thank you for my work, Lord. I thank you for my everyday blessings, especially those I do not deserve and pray for. Thank you for your great love for me, Lord. I am sorry for not being grateful and not appreciating these things. Sorry for forgetting you in times of distress and great problems. Sorry for not calling unto you. May I always be sensitive and may these things make me love you more. As you bless me, use me to bless others as well. Amen.



Blessed Day!



In Christ,

-g-






September 17 2019






« September 16  |  September 18 »

Tuesday of the Twenty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 444

Reading 1 1 TM 3:1-13

Beloved, this saying is trustworthy:
whoever aspires to the office of bishop desires a noble task.
Therefore, a bishop must be irreproachable,
married only once, temperate, self-controlled,
decent, hospitable, able to teach,
not a drunkard, not aggressive, but gentle,
not contentious, not a lover of money.
He must manage his own household well,
keeping his children under control with perfect dignity;
for if a man does not know how to manage his own household,
how can he take care of the Church of God?
He should not be a recent convert,
so that he may not become conceited
and thus incur the Devil's punishment.
He must also have a good reputation among outsiders,
so that he may not fall into disgrace, the Devil's trap.

Similarly, deacons must be dignified, not deceitful,
not addicted to drink, not greedy for sordid gain,
holding fast to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.
Moreover, they should be tested first;
then, if there is nothing against them,
let them serve as deacons.
Women, similarly, should be dignified, not slanderers,
but temperate and faithful in everything.
Deacons may be married only once
and must manage their children and their households well.
Thus those who serve well as deacons gain good standing
and much confidence in their faith in Christ Jesus.


Responsorial Psalm PS 101:1B-2AB, 2CD-3AB, 5, 6

R.(2) I will walk with blameless heart.
Of mercy and judgment I will sing;
to you, O LORD, I will sing praise.
I will persevere in the way of integrity;
when will you come to me?
R. I will walk with blameless heart.
I will walk with blameless heart,
within my house;
I will not set before my eyes
any base thing.
R. I will walk with blameless heart.
Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret,
him will I destroy.
The man of haughty eyes and puffed up heart
I will not endure.
R. I will walk with blameless heart.
My eyes are upon the faithful of the land,
that they may dwell with me.
He who walks in the way of integrity
shall be in my service.
R. I will walk with blameless heart.


Alleluia LK 7:16

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
A great prophet has arisen in our midst
and God has visited his people.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel LK 7:11-17

Jesus journeyed to a city called Nain,
and his disciples and a large crowd accompanied him.
As he drew near to the gate of the city,
a man who had died was being carried out,
the only son of his mother, and she was a widow.
A large crowd from the city was with her.
When the Lord saw her,
he was moved with pity for her and said to her,
“Do not weep.”
He stepped forward and touched the coffin;
at this the bearers halted,
and he said, “Young man, I tell you, arise!”
The dead man sat up and began to speak,
and Jesus gave him to his mother.
Fear seized them all, and they glorified God, exclaiming,
“A great prophet has arisen in our midst,”
and “God has visited his people.”
This report about him spread through the whole of Judea
and in all the surrounding region.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...