Saturday, September 7, 2019

Lord Of Sabbath


The WORD today reminds me how powerful God is.

In the gospel, we see people questioning the actions of Jesus and his disciples. They were picking up and eating grain on a Sabbath, something prohibited because no work should be done on Sabbath. Then Jesus tells them that the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath

The Law should serve man, not the other way around.

God is God even on Sabbath, where there are a lot of laws prohibiting a lot of things. God does not follow man made laws – he is the source of the law. God is not bound by our traditions and lawsHis power is not limited by anyone or anything.

However, this should not be abused. The law should serve man is not an excuse for breaking the law. It is still wrong to Not follow traffic signs when there are no police or other vehicles. Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor is still wrong. God should never be an excuse from breaking the law. What God is telling us is that we should put things in perspective and respect the law. Even Jesus followed the law when he paid taxes. He allowed his disciples to break the law in the gospel not to show his power, but to show that life is greater than any law. Life is more sacred, and in that situation, protecting life by eating is more sacred than keeping a law which prohibits work to be done.

Do I have faith in God’s love and power? What are my concerns right now? How do I react with these concerns? What is God telling me today?

May we pray for a discerning heart so as not to abuse God’s power and Word, while bravely doing his work with and for him

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another sunrise. Thank you for another weekend. Thank you for the reminder of your great love and great power. Lord, I pray that I would always remember that your love and your power is not limited by anything – by laws and traditions and by circumstances around me. Thank you also for reminding me how precious life is – that protecting it is above any man made law. Lord, as I work for you, help me to always put things in perspective. May I not abuse you, your love, and your power. Amen.



Blessed Weekend!



In Christ,

-g-






September 7 2019






« September 6  |  September 8 »

Saturday of the Twenty-second Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 436

Reading 1 COL1:21-23

Brothers and sisters:
You once were alienated and hostile in mind because of evil deeds;
God has now reconciled you
in the fleshly Body of Christ through his death,
to present you holy, without blemish,
and irreproachable before him,
provided that you persevere in the faith,
firmly grounded, stable,
and not shifting from the hope of the Gospel that you heard,
which has been preached to every creature under heaven,
of which I, Paul, am a minister.


Responsorial Psalm PS 54:3-4, 6 AND 8

R.(6) God himself is my help.
O God, by your name save me,
and by your might defend my cause.
O God, hear my prayer;
hearken to the words of my mouth.
R. God himself is my help.
Behold, God is my helper;
the Lord sustains my life.
Freely will I offer you sacrifice;
I will praise your name, O LORD, for its goodness.
R. God himself is my help.


Alleluia JN 14:6

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
I am the way and the truth and the life, says the Lord;
no one comes to the Father except through me.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel LK 6:1-5

While Jesus was going through a field of grain on a sabbath,
his disciples were picking the heads of grain,
rubbing them in their hands, and eating them.
Some Pharisees said,
“Why are you doing what is unlawful on the sabbath?”
Jesus said to them in reply,
“Have you not read what David did
when he and those who were with him were hungry?
How he went into the house of God, took the bread of offering,
which only the priests could lawfully eat,
ate of it, and shared it with his companions?”
Then he said to them, “The Son of Man is lord of the sabbath.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...