Monday, January 9, 2012

Come to the Water


Baptism is related to water – which cleanses us and makes us part of God’s family. That’s why one of the first reading struck me…

All you who are thirsty,
come to the water!

God asks us to come to him, to get nourishment from Him. He gives not only physical nourishment, but more so spiritual nourishment. A friend mentioned that during drought, people seek water for nourishment. However, with spiritual drought, we sometimes move away from the very source of water, we move away from God who can wash the dryness away. It maybe because we are ashamed, afraid, or not in the mood to make an effort. Whatever the reason may be, we should make a conscious effort to not move away from the source of water, from God, especially during spiritual dryness.

As we come to God to water us, to give us strength and as we come into his family, we should also remember that God will not conform to our ways. We should be the one to conform to his ways.  Doing God’s work does not guarantee that our life will be problem free and stress free, and we should not expect it to be like that.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD.
As high as the heavens are above the earth
so high are my ways above your ways
and my thoughts above your thoughts

As we come to him for water, for strength, as we worship him, as we work for him, may we always remember that His ways are better than ours, that he loves us, and that His plan is perfect, and it is the best for us, so we just have to have faith in God.

Reflection Questions:
How do I react when I have problems? Do I turn to God in humility, or do I get angry with God and turn away from him? Do I expect him to answer me the way I want to? What do I do, how do I feel, when God does not answer the way I want him to? Do I trust that His plan is better than mine, and he has the best for me in his heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...