Saturday, June 4, 2016

Generous in Poverty


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/060416.cfm) reminds me that God wants us to give generously, regardless of the situation we are in. 

They say that a day is no day without pain and that no pain, no gain. Probably true. We do not truly live if we do not experience pain. If we are too comfortable to step out of our comfort zone and too afraid to experience pain, then we probably are not really living, and not really improving. If we are willing to experience pain, them something great can happen. 

Giving despite pain is very powerful. 

In the gospel, what the widow gave may not have much worth in the world. Two cents may not be able to help the poor that much. It may be practically useless. But its value for the woman is high because it was all she had. God is not man, and he does not see things the way we do. He does not need money from us to be able to do great things, to buy new things, and to help the poor. What he needs from us is a heart surrendered, a heart ready to give him what we value most, and a heart who trusts in him to make use of whatever we give and multiply it.

Aside from her generosity, we also see the woman’s faith in God. Being a widow, she is practically worthless in society during that time, because without her husband she is nothing. That being the case, she needs every money she has to survive. But her situation did not prevent her from sharing for God’s kingdom. Her situation did not prevent her from surrendering to God. She gave all she had because she had faith that God would continue to take care of her. She gave all she had, because she loves God and wants to share him with others.

The woman may not have given a lot in terms of amount, but she gave everything she had. That may not have much worth in the world’s eyes, but in God’s eyes, that is priceless.

God does not look at the worldly value of what we give. He looks at our hearts as we give. May we be inspired and encouraged to give until it hurts, not because we like pain or are crazy, but because we want to love like Jesus did – with pain, dying of one’s self, and putting others first.


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for another weekend. Thank you for the very inspiring reminder. Lord, I am sorry for not having that faith. Sorry for not being that generous. Sorry for being afraid to step out of my comfort zone for you. Lord, I pray that you help me give you the kind of importance the woman in the gospel gave you. May I be generous, loving and faith filled as her. May I be willing to give you whatever I got, no matter how painful it may be for me. May I be willing and ready to give you my best. Help me be detached from the things of this world. Help me put importance on you, not on worldly things. And help me have faith to trust in you and surrender. Help me love and give like you do. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 4, 2016
Memorial of the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Lectionary: 358/573



Reading 1 2 Tm 4:1-8


Beloved:
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus,
who will judge the living and the dead,
and by his appearing and his kingly power:
proclaim the word;
be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient;
convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience and teaching.
For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine
but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity,
will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth
and will be diverted to myths.
But you, be self-possessed in all circumstances;
put up with hardship;
perform the work of an evangelist;
fulfill your ministry.

For I am already being poured out like a libation,
and the time of my departure is at hand.
I have competed well;
I have finished the race; I have kept the faith.
From now on the crown of righteousness awaits me,
which the Lord, the just judge,
will award to me on that day, and not only to me,
but to all who have longed for his appearance.



Responsorial Psalm Ps 71:8-9, 14-15ab, 16-17, 22


R. (see 15ab) I will sing of your salvation.
My mouth shall be filled with your praise,
with your glory day by day.
Cast me not off in my old age;
as my strength fails, forsake me not.
R. I will sing of your salvation.
But I will always hope
and praise you ever more and more.
My mouth shall declare your justice,
day by day your salvation.
R. I will sing of your salvation.
I will treat of the mighty works of the Lord;
O GOD, I will tell of your singular justice.
O God, you have taught me from my youth,
and till the present I proclaim your wondrous deeds.
R. I will sing of your salvation.
So will I give you thanks with music on the lyre,
for your faithfulness, O my God!
I will sing your praises with the harp,
O Holy One of Israel!
R. I will sing of your salvation.



Alleluia See Lk 2:19


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed is the Virgin Mary who kept the word of God
and pondered it in her heart.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel Lk 2:41-51


Each year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover,
and when he was twelve years old,
they went up according to festival custom.
After they had completed its days, as they were returning,
the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem,
but his parents did not know it.
Thinking that he was in the caravan,
they journeyed for a day
and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances,
but not finding him,
they returned to Jerusalem to look for him.
After three days they found him in the temple,
sitting in the midst of the teachers,
listening to them and asking them questions,
and all who heard him were astounded
at his understanding and his answers.
When his parents saw him,
they were astonished,
and his mother said to him,
“Son, why have you done this to us?
Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety.”
And he said to them,
“Why were you looking for me?
Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?”
But they did not understand what he said to them.
He went down with them and came to Nazareth,
and was obedient to them;
and his mother kept all these things in her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...