Monday, November 25, 2013

Painful Giving

  
The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/112513.cfm) reminds me how God appreciates painful giving.

They say that a day is no day without pain and that no pain, no gain. Probably true. We do not truly live if we do not experience pain. If we are too comfortable to step out of our comfort zone and too afraid to experience pain, then we probably are not really living, and not really improving.

In the gospel we see a familiar story – Jesus telling that the two small coins had more value than others, because the woman who gave them gave her all, and it hurt the woman, unlike others who gave a lot but all our of their surplus. Makes me think of the people who gave until it hurts during this time of challenge to our beloved country. You hear of street sweepers giving away their day’s wage to help Yolanda victims. You hear of soldiers giving away their food subsidy to help the victims. You hear kids emptying their piggy banks to help the victims. These may not be as huge based on the standards of the world, but it has higher value because it hurt them, because it took a lot from them – compared to others who gave hundreds of thousands or even millions out of their surplus. Same is true with people who volunteer, who take time off from work and business, and give their time helping, re packing and doing what they can to help out others. Giving until it hurts. Loving like Jesus did – with pain.

God does not look at the worldly value of what we give. He looks at our hearts as we give. May we be inspired and encouraged to give until it hurts, not because we like pain or are crazy, but because we want to love like Jesus did – with pain, dying of one’s self, and putting others first.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for the opportunity to help and give until it hurts. Lord, I pray that you continue to sustain me so I can continue to give to others. May I never tire of helping and of giving, and as I do so, may I not hold back and continue to give until it hurts me, until I can feel your pain of dying of myself and allowing God to live through me. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...