Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Act on Instruction


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/092016.cfm) reminds me that I should act upon the instructions of God. 

Saying is different from doing. There are people who say good things, who are very amiable when you talk to them, but their actions are not consistent with what they say. Sa salita lang magaling. This irritates people. However, those who are consistent with what they say and do, and who do what you agree upon. Madaling kausap. This is what God wants from us. 

Jesus values obedience, for it is rooted in humility. 

In the gospel, we see how Jesus values obedience. He treats as family not just his blood relatives, but those around him who listen to God's word and act on it. Hindi pwedeng puro realizations. Hindi pwede puro pakikinig lang. Dapat may gawa. Actions should accompany God's followers. Actions rooted in obedience to Him, is an indication of humility. An indication of us submitting to His will, not ours. 

We see in the first reading some of the things God wants. Some are easy to do, some are not. Some make sense in this world, some probably do not. However, this is where obedience and humility comes in. This is where we die of ourselves and submit to his will. This is why God values obedience rooted in faith. 

May we take time to not only know and understand God's words, but act on them as well. Like the psalmist, may we humble ourselves and ask God to guide us and direct our steps in life. 

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. Thank you for another reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I do not act on your word. Sorry for the times I get contented with just knowing you and what you want, without actually living it. Help me live my faith. Help me be humble, submit, and obey you. Use me and make your love more alive through me and my actions. May you be glorified always. Amen. 

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 20, 2016
Memorial of Saints Andrew Kim Tae-gŏn, Priest, and Paul Chŏng Ha-sang, and Companions, Martyrs
Lectionary: 450



Reading 1 Prv 21:1-6, 10-13


Like a stream is the king’s heart in the hand of the LORD;
wherever it pleases him, he directs it.

All the ways of a man may be right in his own eyes,
but it is the LORD who proves hearts.

To do what is right and just
is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

Haughty eyes and a proud heart–
the tillage of the wicked is sin.

The plans of the diligent are sure of profit,
but all rash haste leads certainly to poverty.

Whoever makes a fortune by a lying tongue
is chasing a bubble over deadly snares.

The soul of the wicked man desires evil;
his neighbor finds no pity in his eyes.

When the arrogant man is punished, the simple are the wiser;
when the wise man is instructed, he gains knowledge.

The just man appraises the house of the wicked:
there is one who brings down the wicked to ruin.

He who shuts his ear to the cry of the poor
will himself also call and not be heard.



Responsorial Psalm Ps 119:1, 27, 30, 34, 35, 44


. (35) Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Blessed are they whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the LORD.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous deeds.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
The way of truth I have chosen;
I have set your ordinances before me.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Give me discernment, that I may observe your law
and keep it with all my heart.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
Lead me in the path of your commands,
for in it I delight.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.
And I will keep your law continually,
forever and ever.
R. Guide me, Lord, in the way of your commands.



Alleluia Lk 11:28


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed are those who hear the word of God
and observe it.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel Lk 8:19-21


The mother of Jesus and his brothers came to him
but were unable to join him because of the crowd.
He was told, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside
and they wish to see you.”
He said to them in reply, “My mother and my brothers
are those who hear the word of God and act on it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...