Saturday, September 10, 2016

Ano Ang Bunga Ko?


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/091016.cfm) makes me think what kind of fruit I produce. 

A mango tree bears mango, a buko tree bears buko. Looking at a tree will not only give you what fruit it will bear, but also what quality. A strong, mighty and leafy mango tree would usually give good fruit. A good tree bears good fruit, a rotten tree bears bad fruit.

A fruit gets its quality from what's inside the tree. 

Jesus warns us to look past the superficial level – to look beyond the seemingly harmless appearance and see what is inside. Jesus wants is to look deep into our hearts and see beyond what other people see, beyond what we project, beyond what we say. Jesus is asking us to examine our lives and see what is inside of us, because eventually it will come out and bear fruit. 

We all bear fruit.

Jesus sees what is inside of us. He sees way past our actions, our image and reputation and what we say or project to other people. Kahit sabihin mo, or ipakita mo sa ibang tao, alam ni God ano yung nasa loob ng puso mo. Minsan, kahit hindi mo alam, kahit hindi ka aware, alam ni God. God knows. That’s why it is important to always pray and ask his guidance as he reveal what is really in our hearts.

Consistency is the key.

Minsan, hindi pareho ang sinasabi natin sa ginagawa natin. In the gospel Jesus further tells us that we should live consistently with our words. We should not only say we love God, we should live it. Hindi pwedeng puro salita. Hindi puwedeng puro realizations. Our life, our actions, should be consistent to what we say and what we project. 

Am I seeking God’s will in my actions? Do I constantly try to make an effort to examine my life and change my ways, as I pray that God help me discern what’s in my heart? Are my words consistent with my actions? What fruits am I bearing in my life?  Do I bear good fruit?

May we be inspired and do our best to bear good fruit for God.


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another weekend. Thank you for reminding me that I should bear good fruit. Lord, Sorry for the times I don't give it much thought. Sorry for the times I get contented with a good reputation and image, and not a good fruit. Lord, I ask that as I live my life, You help me to be always aware of my intentions, of what is inside my heart. I pray that I always seek your guidance and seek and obey your will above all so that I can glorify you. May my actions always be consistent with my words. May my life be my love letter to you. May my life bear good fruit for your glory. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 10, 2016
Saturday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 442



Reading 1 1 Cor 10:14-22


My beloved ones, avoid idolatry.
I am speaking as to sensible people;
judge for yourselves what I am saying.
The cup of blessing that we bless,
is it not a participation in the Blood of Christ?
The bread that we break,
is it not a participation in the Body of Christ?
Because the loaf of bread is one,
we, though many, are one Body,
for we all partake of the one loaf.

Look at Israel according to the flesh;
are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?
So what am I saying?
That meat sacrificed to idols is anything?
Or that an idol is anything?
No, I mean that what they sacrifice,
they sacrifice to demons, not to God,
and I do not want you to become participants with demons.
You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and also the cup of demons.
You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and of the table of demons.
Or are we provoking the Lord to jealous anger?
Are we stronger than him?



Responsorial Psalm Ps 116:12-13, 17-18


R. (17) To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
How shall I make a return to the LORD
for all the good he has done for me?
The cup of salvation I will take up,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
My vows to the LORD I will pay
in the presence of all his people.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.



Alleluia Jn 14:23


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Whoever loves me will keep my word,
and my Father will love him,
and we will come to him.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Gospel Lk 6:43-49


Jesus said to his disciples:
“A good tree does not bear rotten fruit,
nor does a rotten tree bear good fruit.
For every tree is known by its own fruit.

For people do not pick figs from thornbushes,
nor do they gather grapes from brambles.
A good person out of the store of goodness in his heart produces good,
but an evil person out of a store of evil produces evil;
for from the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.

“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ but not do what I command?
I will show you what someone is like who comes to me,
listens to my words, and acts on them.
That one is like a man building a house,
who dug deeply and laid the foundation on rock;
when the flood came, the river burst against that house
but could not shake it because it had been well built.
But the one who listens and does not act
is like a person who built a house on the ground
without a foundation.
When the river burst against it,
it collapsed at once and was completely destroyed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...