Saturday, August 25, 2018

Double Lives


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/082518.cfm) reminds me that we should not live double lives. 


In the movie “The Amazing Spider Man”, there was a line by Aunt May to Peter Parker. “Secrets have a cost. They’re not free.” We know how applicable it was in the movie, but I believe this is true as well even to us, normal human beings. Secrets have a cost. Spider man was living a double life. He is Peter Parker and Spider Man. Some of us, too, have double lives. We may not have a different identity, we may not be a superhero, but we are living double lives if we are not living consistently with what we say


In the gospel, the scribes and Pharisees know what they should do. Even Jesus acknowledges this. “Do and observe whatever they tell you” These Pharisees and scribes know how we should behave, how God wants us to behave. But they are not living it. Jesus further says – “but do not follow their example” Yes, double lives.. What you say is different from what you actually do.


Words and actions go hand in hand. They should be in agreement with each other.


Sometimes, we may not realize, but we may already be living double lives. We know what God wants. We know the 10 commandments, we know we should be good people, we know the importance of fasting, prayer and almsgiving. However, we may not necessarily do these things. We may say these, but we may not do these things, especially when no one is watching us, when no one can see what we are doing. It is easy to be good when you’re with good people, with church friends, with people who have the same values as you. However, when we are with other people, people who do not necessarily value these things, we may get carried away and act differently from what we say, from what we know, from how we act when we’re with church friends. Double lives.


In what ways am I living double lives? Do I have secrets? What are the bad habits and vices I cannot let go? What is keeping me from letting go of these things? Am I willing to let God control my life?


May we be conscious of how God wants us to live, and strive to live right and pleasing to God. May we live our faith and knowledge of God.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another weekend. Thank you for reminding me to live a life consistent with your ways all the time. Thank you for challenging me not to live double lives. I am sorry Lord for living double lives sometimes. Sorry for not living my faith all of the time. Sometimes I act differently or behave differently when I am with other people, when no one can see me. I forget that you Lord always see what I do. Help me live right. Help me live pleasing to you. Help me live my faith. I pray that you give me the strength to submit to you and follow you all the time. Amen.


Blessed Weekend!


In Christ,

-g-



Ps see related reflection:





August 25, 2018

Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 424



Reading 1 EZ 43:1-7AB

The angel led me to the gate which faces the east,
and there I saw the glory of the God of Israel
coming from the east.
I heard a sound like the roaring of many waters,
and the earth shone with his glory.
The vision was like that which I had seen
when he came to destroy the city,
and like that which I had seen by the river Chebar.
I fell prone as the glory of the LORD entered the temple
by way of the gate which faces the east,
but spirit lifted me up and brought me to the inner court.
And I saw that the temple was filled with the glory of the LORD.
Then I heard someone speaking to me from the temple,
while the man stood beside me.
The voice said to me:
Son of man, this is where my throne shall be,
this is where I will set the soles of my feet;
here I will dwell among the children of Israel forever.


Responsorial Psalm PS 85:9AB AND 10, 11-12, 13-14

R. (see 10b) The glory of the Lord will dwell in our land.
I will hear what God proclaims;
the LORD –for he proclaims peace.
Near indeed is his salvation to those who fear him,
glory dwelling in our land.
R. The glory of the Lord will dwell in our land.
Kindness and truth shall meet;
justice and peace shall kiss.
Truth shall spring out of the earth,
and justice shall look down from heaven.
R. The glory of the Lord will dwell in our land.
The LORD himself will give his benefits;
our land shall yield its increase.
Justice shall walk before him,
and salvation, along the way of his steps.
R. The glory of the Lord will dwell in our land.


Alleluia MT 23:9B, 10B

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
You have but one Father in heaven;
you have but one master, the Christ.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 23:1-12

Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying,
"The scribes and the Pharisees
have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,
but do not follow their example.
For they preach but they do not practice.
They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry
and lay them on people's shoulders,
but they will not lift a finger to move them.
All their works are performed to be seen.
They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.
They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues,
greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.'
As for you, do not be called 'Rabbi.'
You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.
Call no one on earth your father;
you have but one Father in heaven.
Do not be called 'Master';
you have but one master, the Christ.
The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled;
but whoever humbles himself will be exalted."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...