Saturday, August 4, 2018

Holy Courage


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/080418.cfm) reminds me that I should have courage as I do God’s work. 


Some people equate courage with being brave. To not back down and be ready to fight in war and battles. In some sense, this is true. But it is more than that, especially when it comes to our spiritual life. That is what I am reminded of today. 


Courage is the will and decision to continue doing God's work despite of the powerful worldly opposition. 


We see people exhibiting that courage in the readings. Jeremiah proclaimed God's message even if the powerful people did not initially approve of it. Powerful priests and prophets were against him. They wanted him dead. However, He was brave and did God's work, even if it could cause him his life. In the gospel, John the Baptist also did the same. He preached God's word to the king and the powerful people, even if it put him in prison. These two did not let powerful people bring them down and prevent them from doing God's work. They had Holy Courage to go on and do His work despite powerful opposition. 


God wants us to be like that as well. 


Doing God's work is not easy. Proclaiming his message is not always exciting. Living his ways are not always rewarding. There are others, powerful in the world, who may threaten us, disrespect us, or entice us to stop following God and live of the world. However, we should take courage and trust that God will always be there for us no matter what. 


However, God's ways are not our ways. His plans may be different from ours. We need to trust him, but it does not guarantee it will get us what we want. Jeremiah was spared, but John the Baptist was killed. Both had courage and trusted in God, but different things happened to them. However, we should always remember that everything happens with God's permission, and God's plans are always perfect. So we just need to trust in Him in everything. 


How do I react when faced with powerful opposition? Do I trust God, especially at these times? Do I let powerful people intimidate me, or do I know my purpose and keep doing God’s work despite of this? How can I strengthen my faith and have more courage for God? 


May we be inspired to have courage as we do God's work, and trust in him all throughout. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another weekend. Thank you for always being there for me. Lord, sorry for the times I don't trust you enough. Sorry for the times I back down when I experience opposition from the world. Help me to just focus on you. Help me have faith in you. Give me courage to do your work no matter what. Equip me and use me to further your kingdom here on earth. Amen. 


Blessed Weekend!


In Christ,

-g-


Ps

See related reflection:




August 4, 2018

Memorial of Saint John Vianney, Priest
Lectionary: 406


Reading 1 

The priests and prophets said to the princes and to all the people,
"This man deserves death;
he has prophesied against this city,
as you have heard with your own ears."
Jeremiah gave this answer to the princes and all the people:
"It was the LORD who sent me to prophesy against this house and city
all that you have heard.
Now, therefore, reform your ways and your deeds;
listen to the voice of the LORD your God,
so that the LORD will repent of the evil with which he threatens you.
As for me, I am in your hands;
do with me what you think good and right.
But mark well: if you put me to death,
it is innocent blood you bring on yourselves,
on this city and its citizens.
For in truth it was the LORD who sent me to you,
to speak all these things for you to hear."

Thereupon the princes and all the people
said to the priests and the prophets,
"This man does not deserve death;
it is in the name of the LORD, our God, that he speaks to us."

So Ahikam, son of Shaphan, protected Jeremiah,
so that he was not handed over to the people to be put to death.


Responsorial Psalm PS 69:15-16, 30-31, 33-34

R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.
Rescue me out of the mire; may I not sink!
may I be rescued from my foes,
and from the watery depths.
Let not the flood-waters overwhelm me,
nor the abyss swallow me up,
nor the pit close its mouth over me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
But I am afflicted and in pain;
let your saving help, O God, protect me.
I will praise the name of God in song,
and I will glorify him with thanksgiving.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
"See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the LORD hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not."
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.


Alleluia MT 5:10

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness
for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 14:1-12

Herod the tetrarch heard of the reputation of Jesus
and said to his servants, "This man is John the Baptist.
He has been raised from the dead;
that is why mighty powers are at work in him."

Now Herod had arrested John, bound him, and put him in prison
on account of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip,
for John had said to him,
"It is not lawful for you to have her."
Although he wanted to kill him, he feared the people,
for they regarded him as a prophet.
But at a birthday celebration for Herod,
the daughter of Herodias performed a dance before the guests
and delighted Herod so much
that he swore to give her whatever she might ask for.
Prompted by her mother, she said,
"Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist."
The king was distressed,
but because of his oaths and the guests who were present,
he ordered that it be given, and he had John beheaded in the prison.
His head was brought in on a platter and given to the girl,
who took it to her mother.
His disciples came and took away the corpse
and buried him; and they went and told Jesus


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...