Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Possible


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/082118.cfm) reminds me that anything is possible for God. 


The gospel today is the continuation of yesterday’s. Jesus further explains that it will be very hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Why? Are they cursed? Of course not. It will be hard for most of them simply because of the value of riches in their lives. People who have a lot are not willing to lose what they have. They do everything to protect what they have, or even increase what they have. This is why a lot of people continue to do bad just to increase what they already have, no matter how many they already have. These riches have taken the place of God in their lives, thus it will be impossible for them to enter God’s kingdom – simply because they don’t give importance to it


So what will happen to them? Will they all die? Can they ever change? 

Jesus said, for human beings it is impossible. Probably not. There is no one they can talk to that can talk them out of it. No single person can make them come to their senses. No warning will be enough to wake them up. However, Jesus further states that for God, nothing is impossible. We as humans cannot do it, but God can. His power can wake people up. His whisper can make them come to their senses. His favor is enough to make a human testimony so powerful and inspiring that it can turn a sinner around.


As we allow God to use us, and as we follow God, we are certain that we will be rewarded. God is generous. Not that it should be the sole reason to do these things, but it should inspire us to continue the work. It should inspire us to move forward. It should inspire us that God can and will use us to further his kingdom. We need not be well educated and well gifted. God’s favor makes us gifted. Nothing is impossible with God, and with his favor, he can use you mightily.


How do I see riches in this world? What do I value in life? Is there anyone or anything that takes God’s place in my life? How do I prepare to enter God’s kingdom?


May we be inspired and motivated by God’s love and power, and ask him to continue to use us.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. thank you for another chance to love and serve you. thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for the times other people or worldly riches take your place in my life. Sorry for holding on to them and valuing them so much. help me to always surrender to you. I know my actions are useless if they are not rooted on you. i just trust in you. and I ask you to use me mightily. May my words, actions and my life be a testament of how great you are. Equip me for your task, use me for your kingdom, do with me as you please. Prepare me and my life to enter your kingdom when the time comes. Amen.


Blessed Day!


In Christ,

-g-




August 21, 2018

Memorial of Saint Pius X, Pope
Lectionary: 420



Reading 1 EZ 28:1-10

The word of the LORD came to me: Son of man,
say to the prince of Tyre:
Thus says the Lord GOD:

Because you are haughty of heart,
you say, "A god am I!
I occupy a godly throne
in the heart of the sea!"—
And yet you are a man, and not a god,
however you may think yourself like a god.
Oh yes, you are wiser than Daniel,
there is no secret that is beyond you.
By your wisdom and your intelligence
you have made riches for yourself;
You have put gold and silver
into your treasuries.
By your great wisdom applied to your trading
you have heaped up your riches;
your heart has grown haughty from your riches–
therefore thus says the Lord GOD:
Because you have thought yourself
to have the mind of a god,
Therefore I will bring against you
foreigners, the most barbarous of nations.
They shall draw their swords
against your beauteous wisdom,
they shall run them through your splendid apparel.
They shall thrust you down to the pit, there to die
a bloodied corpse, in the heart of the sea.
Will you then say, "I am a god!"
when you face your murderers?
No, you are man, not a god,
handed over to those who will slay you.
You shall die the death of the uncircumcised
at the hands of foreigners,
for I have spoken, says the Lord GOD.



R. (39c) It is I who deal death and give life.
"I would have said, 'I will make an end of them
and blot out their name from men's memories,'
Had I not feared the insolence of their enemies,
feared that these foes would mistakenly boast."
R. It is I who deal death and give life.
"'Our own hand won the victory;
the LORD had nothing to do with it.'"
For they are a people devoid of reason,
having no understanding.
R. It is I who deal death and give life.
"How could one man rout a thousand,
or two men put ten thousand to flight,
Unless it was because their Rock sold them
and the LORD delivered them up?"
R. It is I who deal death and give life.
Close at hand is the day of their disaster,
and their doom is rushing upon them!
Surely, the LORD shall do justice for his people;
on his servants he shall have pity.
R. It is I who deal death and give life.


Alleluia 2 COR 8:9

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Jesus Christ became poor although he was rich
So that by his poverty you might become rich.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel MT 19:23-30

Jesus said to his disciples:
"Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich
to enter the Kingdom of heaven.
Again I say to you,
it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle
than for one who is rich to enter the Kingdom of God."
When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said,
"Who then can be saved?"
Jesus looked at them and said,
"For men this is impossible,
but for God all things are possible."
Then Peter said to him in reply,
"We have given up everything and followed you.
What will there be for us?"
Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you
that you who have followed me, in the new age,
when the Son of Man is seated on his throne of glory,
will yourselves sit on twelve thrones,
judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters
or father or mother or children or lands
for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more,
and will inherit eternal life.
But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...