Saturday, December 22, 2018

Do Not Forget


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/122218.cfm) reminds me that I should not forget God when he gives me what I pray for. 


When we are praying for something, it is not unusual to bargain. We promise God something. We tell God we will do something. We say a lot in the hopes of receiving what we pray for. We say a lot and hope it will help us get our prayers. However, when we get what we pray for, we do not always keep our word. Today, I am reminded that we should. 


In the first reading, Hannah did not forget to thank God for answering her prayers for a son. She did not forget, and She eventually dedicated Samuel for the Lord. She did not keep him to herself, she did not forget God when her prayers were answered. She did not make excuses whatsoever. She glorified God by giving Him the one thing precious to her – her son. 

In the gospel, Mary said it explicitly. After being called blessed by Elizabeth, Mary responded with her canticle. My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord. All honour and glory was given back to God, as it should be. She did not boast that she is special, that she is blessed, that she was carrying the Son of God. Rather, she gave back everything to God. And she served God by visiting and serving Elizabeth despite her situation. She knew who she was and did not forget God’s part in everything. 


As we prepare for Christmas, may we never forget whom to glorify, whom the season is all about. In celebrating Christmas, may we not forget that amidst all the gift-giving, the merrymaking, the parties and gatherings, Jesus is the one whose birthday we are celebrating. In celebrating his birthday, may we STILL give him glory by how we act, by what we say and what we do. Christmas is not just about having fun, giving gifts to family and friends, and relaxing, having a good time. This is about Christ and his great love for us. With all these parties, merrymaking, and gift giving, may we never forget to give to others who cannot give us back. 


What are the things I am praying for? What are the answers of God to these things? How do I respond when God gives me what I ask for? Do I forget him and move on with my life, or do I thank Him?


When God hears our prayers and this season, may we never forget Him. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another weekend. Thank you for another chance to know more about you. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for forgetting you. Sorry for ignoring you when things are well. And sorry for forgetting that this season is all about you. Help me live right. Help me live for you. Help me prepare for you. May I never forget you, and may I live in a way pleasing to and glorifying you always. Amen. 



Blessed Weekend!



In Christ, 

-g-



Ps

See related reflection:









December 22, 2018

Saturday of the Third Week of Advent
Lectionary: 198

Reading 1 1 SM 1:24-28

In those days,
Hannah brought Samuel with her,
along with a three-year-old bull,
an ephah of flour, and a skin of wine,
and presented him at the temple of the LORD in Shiloh.
After the boy's father had sacrificed the young bull,
Hannah, his mother, approached Eli and said:
"Pardon, my lord!
As you live, my lord,
I am the woman who stood near you here, praying to the LORD.
I prayed for this child, and the LORD granted my request.
Now I, in turn, give him to the LORD;
as long as he lives, he shall be dedicated to the LORD."
She left Samuel there.


Responsorial Psalm 1 SAMUEL 2:1, 4-5, 6-7, 8ABCD

R. (see 1a) My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.
"My heart exults in the LORD,
my horn is exalted in my God.
I have swallowed up my enemies;
I rejoice in my victory."
R. My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.
"The bows of the mighty are broken,
while the tottering gird on strength.
The well-fed hire themselves out for bread,
while the hungry batten on spoil.
The barren wife bears seven sons,
while the mother of many languishes."
R. My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.
"The LORD puts to death and gives life;
he casts down to the nether world;
he raises up again.
The LORD makes poor and makes rich,
he humbles, he also exalts."
R. My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.
"He raises the needy from the dust;
from the dung heap he lifts up the poor,
To seat them with nobles
and make a glorious throne their heritage."
R. My heart exults in the Lord, my Savior.


Alleluia

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
O King of all nations and keystone of the Church:
come and save man, whom you formed from the dust!
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


Gospel LK 1:46-56

Mary said:

"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my savior.
for he has looked upon his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
and has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children for ever."

Mary remained with Elizabeth about three months
and then returned to her home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...