Sunday, December 2, 2018

Ready and Prepare


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/120218.cfm) reminds me that we should be ready and prepared for God's coming. 


The readings for the past few days have been talking about the judgment, about Christ’s second coming. Today, we are again reminded to be ready and prepared - not just for the second coming that we do not know when will come, but also for something we know when – Christmas. As we usher in the happiest season of the year, as we usher in advent, and as we read the gospel, we are reminded to prepare and be ready - to meet God and to commemorate Christ’s birth.

We should prepare our hearts for Christmas.

We now officially start the advent season, and this first Sunday of advent should set us in the mood not of Christmas as the world sees  – with all the lights, parties, gifts and food, but to prepare our hearts for Christ’s coming that we commemorate on Christmas day.

Some say that this season, Christmas season, is not just happy, but a very busy, and sometimes can be stressful. There are a lot of things going on – from the yearend reports and quotas, the get together and parties, relatives and friends coming home to and from the province or abroad, the bazaars and gift shopping, and of course, the extra special traffic we expect even during the wee hours of the morning. Yes, it can be stressful. It can be busy. And unfortunately sometimes with all of these, we forget the reason for the season. We forget what Christmas is all about. 

Christmas is about Christ. It is about God's love for us made concrete through Jesus. 

Looking at our lives and at our hearts, a lot of us can say that we are not ready to welcome Jesus. We are not yet prepared. There are a lot of issues, concerns and even sins that make our hearts unworthy of God’s visitation. There are a lot of things going on in our lives. Good thing we have 4 weeks to prepare. We have 4 weeks to clean our hearts. We have 4 weeks to remember him and focus on him. We are reminded to hear mass more often, to partake of the sacraments, to pray more, read the bible more, and to love others more as we prepare our hearts for Christ.


How do I feel about Christ’s second coming? What is the essence of Christmas for me? How do I feel about Christmas? Am I ready for Christmas and his second coming? What can I do to prepare myself for him?

May we take this opportunity and make the most out of the time we have to prepare for Christ’s visitation, so that when he comes, we will be ready.


Father God,

Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to experience your love. Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, sorry for forgetting you. Sorry for being distracted. Help me do it right this hear. Lord, my heart is not clean. I am not ready for you. There are a lot of things distracting me. There are a lot of things on my mind. I have a lot of excuses. But i will do my best to prepare for you in this season of advent. Be with me in this journey. May this be a special one, a memorable one. May I get to know you more and experience you more as I prepare. May this be about you. Only you. Amen


Blessed Sunday!


In Christ,

-g-




December 2, 2018

First Sunday of Advent
Lectionary: 3


Reading 1 JER 33:14-16

The days are coming, says the LORD,
when I will fulfill the promise
I made to the house of Israel and Judah.
In those days, in that time,
I will raise up for David a just shoot ;
he shall do what is right and just in the land.
In those days Judah shall be safe
and Jerusalem shall dwell secure;
this is what they shall call her:
“The LORD our justice.”


Responsorial Psalm PS 25:4-5, 8-9, 10, 14

R. (1b) To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
teach me your paths,
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my savior,
and for you I wait all the day.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
Good and upright is the LORD;
thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
and teaches the humble his way.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
All the paths of the LORD are kindness and constancy
toward those who keep his covenant and his decrees.
The friendship of the LORD is with those who fear him,
and his covenant, for their instruction.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.


Reading 2 1 THES 3:12—4:2

Brothers and sisters:
May the Lord make you increase and abound in love
for one another and for all,
just as we have for you,
so as to strengthen your hearts,
to be blameless in holiness before our God and Father
at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his holy ones. Amen.

Finally, brothers and sisters,
we earnestly ask and exhort you in the Lord Jesus that,
as you received from us
how you should conduct yourselves to please God
and as you are conducting yourselves
you do so even more.
For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus.


Alleluia PS 85:8

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Show us, Lord, your love;
and grant us your salvation.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.



Jesus said to his disciples:
“There will be signs in the sun, the moon, and the stars,
and on earth nations will be in dismay,
perplexed by the roaring of the sea and the waves.
People will die of fright
in anticipation of what is coming upon the world,
for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
And then they will see the Son of Man
coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
But when these signs begin to happen,
stand erect and raise your heads
because your redemption is at hand.

“Beware that your hearts do not become drowsy
from carousing and drunkenness
and the anxieties of daily life,
and that day catch you by surprise like a trap.
For that day will assault everyone
who lives on the face of the earth.
Be vigilant at all times
and pray that you have the strength
to escape the tribulations that are imminent
and to stand before the Son of Man.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...