Sunday, December 16, 2018

Patiently Prepare


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/121618.cfm) reminds me I should patiently prepare for God's coming. 


The readings this advent generally talk about us preparing ourselves to receive God and for his coming, which we commemorate this Christmas. The first Sunday reminded me that we should prepare, the second Sunday reminded me to go a step further and proclaim God in and through my life. Today, I am reminded that we should be patient while we are waiting for Him.


In the gospel we see John tirelessly working as he was preparing the way for and waiting for the coming of Christ. He knew his purpose and patiently did his role. He was not focused on the situation and on how other people treated him and reacted to him. He just did what he knew God wanted him to do. He trusted God and had faith as he was waiting for results. 


We should learn how to wait.


Trees do not grow overnight. Flowers do not bloom in one hour. Fruits do not grow in a day. However, while we are waiting for trees and fruits to grow, and flowers to bloom, we should continue doing our best to take care of it. Water it. Give it nutrients, fertilizers, enough sunlight. We should do this even if it seems that nothing is happening. Time should not dampen us, rather, we should be faithful and be patient and do our best even if nothing seems to happen. 


We should do the best that we can while waiting for the right season for them to grow and bloom.


So it is with our faith. As we wait for Christ, we should continue loving Him, serving Him, doing good, praying, reading the bible. No matter how we feel or if nothing seems to happen, we should continue to prepare.  So that when he comes, we will truly be ready. 

How do I preparw myself for Christmas? What is my disposition as I prepare? Am I patient or do I want things to happen my way and in my time? 


May we be faithful in doing our part in preparation while waiting patiently for God. 


Father God,

Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Lord, it’s already the third Sunday but I i feel I am not yet ready. I feel that I have not prepared the best way I can. Sorry for being busy and distracted from what is important. Help me. Remind me. Guide me. I pray that you help me really prepare for you this Christmas. May I be patient as I wait for you, and may I continue to love and serve you through others as I do so. Amen.



Blessed Sunday!



In Christ,

-g-




December 16, 2018

Third Sunday of Advent
Lectionary: 9

Reading 1 ZEP 3:14-18A

Shout for joy, O daughter Zion!
Sing joyfully, O Israel!
Be glad and exult with all your heart,
O daughter Jerusalem!
The LORD has removed the judgment against you
he has turned away your enemies;
the King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst,
you have no further misfortune to fear.
On that day, it shall be said to Jerusalem:
Fear not, O Zion, be not discouraged!
The LORD, your God, is in your midst,
a mighty savior;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
and renew you in his love,
he will sing joyfully because of you,
as one sings at festivals.


Responsorial Psalm IS 12:2-3, 4, 5-6.

R. (6) Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.
God indeed is my savior;
I am confident and unafraid.
My strength and my courage is the LORD,
and he has been my savior.
With joy you will draw water
at the fountain of salvation.
R. Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.
Give thanks to the LORD, acclaim his name;
among the nations make known his deeds,
proclaim how exalted is his name.
R. Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.
Sing praise to the LORD for his glorious achievement;
let this be known throughout all the earth.
Shout with exultation, O city of Zion,
for great in your midst
is the Holy One of Israel!
R. Cry out with joy and gladness: for among you is the great and Holy One of Israel.


ReadingPHIL 4:4-7

Brothers and sisters:
Rejoice in the Lord always.
I shall say it again: rejoice!
Your kindness should be known to all.
The Lord is near.
Have no anxiety at all, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,
make your requests known to God.
Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding
will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.


Alleluia IS 61:1(Cited In Lk 4:18)

R. Alleluia, alleluia. 
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to bring glad tidings to the poor.
R. Alleluia, alleluia. 


GospelLK 3:10-18

The crowds asked John the Baptist,
“What should we do?”
He said to them in reply,
“Whoever has two cloaks
should share with the person who has none.
And whoever has food should do likewise.”
Even tax collectors came to be baptized and they said to him,
“Teacher, what should we do?”
He answered them,
“Stop collecting more than what is prescribed.”
Soldiers also asked him,
“And what is it that we should do?”
He told them,
“Do not practice extortion,
do not falsely accuse anyone,
and be satisfied with your wages.”

Now the people were filled with expectation,
and all were asking in their hearts
whether John might be the Christ.
John answered them all, saying,
“I am baptizing you with water,
but one mightier than I is coming.
I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals.
He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
His winnowing fan is in his hand to clear his threshing floor
and to gather the wheat into his barn,
but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”
Exhorting them in many other ways,
he preached good news to the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...