Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Excuses


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/110717.cfm) reminds me that I should not have excuses for God. 

In the gospel we see the parable of the great feast. The master invited a lot of people but they all declined. They had a lot of excuses not to go to the feast. Though they seem valid, it shows that going to the feast was given less importance in their lives. They prioritized doing other things for themselves. Thy chose other things instead of attending the feast prepared for them. 

There are no valid excuses to reject God. 

In our lives, something similar may be happening. God is clear how he wants us to live our lives. God is clear on what he wants us to do. We see that in the first reading. However, like the original guests, we give him excuses for not doing these things. "Lord, I will love others when I have more timeLord, I will help others when I have more resourcesLord I will serve you when I retire from workLord, i will forgive others after i have gotten back at themLord, I will start praying more, going to mass, go to confession tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year. We all have excuses for not doing what God wants. This shows we prioritize ourselves and others over God. 

God has prepared the feast in heaven for us. And he is consistently calling us to prepare our lives. He wants us to go and be able to attend. He wants to be with us. But he will not force us. If we do not choose him, if we prioritize others, then we are telling him we do not want to be with him. 

May we be challenged and moved as we hear today's Word and do our part to prepare ourselves and not give excuses to God. 


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another opportunity to live for you. Thank you for the reminder. Lord, I am sorry for all the excuses I give you. Sorry for prioritizing myself and my wants instead of you. Sorry for not preparing myself for you. Sorry for not responding well to your call and your reminders. Help me act well. Help me prepare my life for your banquet. May I be moved as I am challenged today. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


November 7, 2017
Tuesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 486



Reading 1ROM 12:5-16AB


Brothers and sisters:
We, though many, are one Body in Christ
and individually parts of one another.
Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us,
let us exercise them:
if prophecy, in proportion to the faith;
if ministry, in ministering;
if one is a teacher, in teaching;
if one exhorts, in exhortation;
if one contributes, in generosity;
if one is over others, with diligence;
if one does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.

Let love be sincere;
hate what is evil,
hold on to what is good;
love one another with mutual affection;
anticipate one another in showing honor.
Do not grow slack in zeal,
be fervent in spirit,
serve the Lord.
Rejoice in hope,
endure in affliction,
persevere in prayer.
Contribute to the needs of the holy ones,
exercise hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you,
bless and do not curse them.
Rejoice with those who rejoice,
weep with those who weep.
Have the same regard for one another;
do not be haughty but associate with the lowly.


Responsorial PsalmPS 131:1BCDE, 2, 3


R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
O LORD, my heart is not proud,
nor are my eyes haughty;
I busy not myself with great things,
nor with things too sublime for me.
R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
Nay rather, I have stilled and quieted
my soul like a weaned child.
Like a weaned child on its mother's lap,
so is my soul within me.
R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.
O Israel, hope in the LORD,
both now and forever.
R. In you, O Lord, I have found my peace.


AlleluiaMT 11:28


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest, says the Lord.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


GospelLK 14:15-24


One of those at table with Jesus said to him,
"Blessed is the one who will dine in the Kingdom of God."
He replied to him,
"A man gave a great dinner to which he invited many.
When the time for the dinner came,
he dispatched his servant to say to those invited,
'Come, everything is now ready.'
But one by one, they all began to excuse themselves.
The first said to him,
'I have purchased a field and must go to examine it;
I ask you, consider me excused.'
And another said, 'I have purchased five yoke of oxen
and am on my way to evaluate them;
I ask you, consider me excused.'
And another said, 'I have just married a woman,
and therefore I cannot come.'
The servant went and reported this to his master.
Then the master of the house in a rage commanded his servant,
'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town
and bring in here the poor and the crippled, 
the blind and the lame.'
The servant reported, 'Sir, your orders have been carried out
and still there is room.'
The master then ordered the servant,
'Go out to the highways and hedgerows
and make people come in that my home may be filled.
For, I tell you, none of those men who were invited will taste my dinner.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...