Saturday, November 25, 2017

Infinite Wisdom


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/112517.cfm) reminds me of the infinite wisdom of God. 

There are prestigious award giving bodies in existence today. These institutions look for greatness before awarding people - either whose work has impacted a lot of people, or those who have discovered great things. We look up especially those who discover things and answers that impact and help a lot of people. In the gospel, we see something similar happening to Jesus. 

In the gospel, people were trying to trap and make fun Jesus. The Sadducees, who do not believe in the resurrection, present Jesus with a hypothetical scenario. They want to prove a point that there really is no resurrection, as opposed to what Jesus was saying. They wanted to prove that there could possibly be no resurrection where a woman will be wife of seven men, because based on the law, she married seven men and died childless. No resurrection because she died childless. They also want to discredit Jesus from the increasing number of people who are beginning to take notice of him. They want to embarrass and humiliate Jesus. They thought Jesus would not know the answer to their question, and people would see they they are smarter than Jesus. And they could prove the point that there really is no resurrection. We then see how great God is. 

God's wisdom is infinite. 

We see and realize that Jesus is really God in human form. We see his wisdom by his answer, answer that others could not think of or could not explain. Jesus tells them upfront that they are misled. They did not understand the resurrection. It is NOT a continuation of life on earth. In the resurrection, we will be like angels. We will be spiritual beings. God has different plans for us in the resurrection. 

Just as the Sadducees quoted Moses in their question, to prove his point and his wisdom, Jesus also quoted Moses in explaining and answering them. Some people believed at that time that immortality was connected with the existence of the physical body. Thus, the Sadducees did not believe that the patriarchs - Abraham, Isaac and Jacob still exist or are immortal. Jesus quotes the Scripture – I AM the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is the Present and living God. And that these people are alive, that they are resurrected, thus the present tense. God did not say I WAS the GodI AM the God means HE is still alive until now, that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are also alive in their resurrection until now, and that he is the same God who guided Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. 

God is a God of the living, not of the dead. And he is alive until now. 

We see how infinite God's wisdom is. In seemingly impossible situations, Jesus not not escapes, but glorifies God. He corrected the wrong notion of the sadducees, and explained how powerful snd loving God is.

We are asked to live a holy life not according to our standards and through our efforts, but through the grace of God. As we remember to live a life based on God’s grace, we will remember to give him back all the honor, glory and praise. We strengthen our faith not for our benefit, but for God’s work and his people, as we allow ourselves to be used by God to proclaim his kingdom. And that just as Jesus escaped the trap set by the Sadducees, we too can experience that if we remain close to God and bask in his word, presence and glory.

Do I believe that God is living and present here in this world? Am I living my life like he is present and living in me?  Do I always focus on Him, his love and power, as I work to give him glory and serve Him? How can I make God more alive and living to the people I interact with?

May we always remember that God is alive, and think of a way we can make him more alive through us today!


Father  God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another inspiring message. Thank you for the reminder. Thank you that you are a living God. Thank you that you are always with me during times of troubles and persecution. Lord, sorry for the times I forget. Sorry for doubting you. Help me remember your love and greatness especially when times are tough. you are there with me even if I don’t always feel it. May I never forget all that you have done for me and my loved ones.  May I always have that faith in you, and live my life in honor and glory of you – the one true living God. Help me build and work on my relationship with you. And  I ask that you use me to make your love more real and more alive to others. Amen.

Blessed Weekend!

In Christ,
-g-


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


November 25, 2017
Saturday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 502



Reading 11 MC 6:1-13


As King Antiochus was traversing the inland provinces,
he heard that in Persia there was a city called Elymais,
famous for its wealth in silver and gold,
and that its temple was very rich,
containing gold helmets, breastplates, and weapons
left there by Alexander, son of Philip,
king of Macedon, the first king of the Greeks.
He went therefore and tried to capture and pillage the city.
But he could not do so,
because his plan became known to the people of the city
who rose up in battle against him.
So he retreated and in great dismay withdrew from there
to return to Babylon.

While he was in Persia, a messenger brought him news
that the armies sent into the land of Judah had been put to flight;
that Lysias had gone at first with a strong army
and been driven back by the children of Israel;
that they had grown strong
by reason of the arms, men, and abundant possessions
taken from the armies they had destroyed;
that they had pulled down the Abomination
which he had built upon the altar in Jerusalem;
and that they had surrounded with high walls
both the sanctuary, as it had been before,
and his city of Beth-zur.

When the king heard this news,
he was struck with fear and very much shaken.
Sick with grief because his designs had failed, he took to his bed.
There he remained many days, overwhelmed with sorrow,
for he knew he was going to die.

So he called in all his Friends and said to them:
"Sleep has departed from my eyes,
for my heart is sinking with anxiety.
I said to myself: 'Into what tribulation have I come,
and in what floods of sorrow am I now!
Yet I was kindly and beloved in my rule.'
But I now recall the evils I did in Jerusalem,
when I carried away all the vessels of gold and silver
that were in it, and for no cause
gave orders that the inhabitants of Judah be destroyed.
I know that this is why these evils have overtaken me;
and now I am dying, in bitter grief, in a foreign land."


Responsorial PsalmPS 9:2-3, 4 AND 6, 16 AND 19


R. (see 16a) I will rejoice in your salvation, O Lord.
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart;
I will declare all your wondrous deeds.
I will be glad and exult in you;
I will sing praise to your name, Most High.
R. I will rejoice in your salvation, O Lord.
Because my enemies are turned back,
overthrown and destroyed before you.
You rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked;
their name you blotted out forever and ever.
R. I will rejoice in your salvation, O Lord.
The nations are sunk in the pit they have made;
in the snare they set, their foot is caught.
For the needy shall not always be forgotten,
nor shall the hope of the afflicted forever perish.
R. I will rejoice in your salvation, O Lord.


AlleluiaSEE 2 TM 1:10


R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Our Savior Jesus Christ has destroyed death
and brought life to light through the Gospel.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


GospelLK 20:27-40


Some Sadducees, those who deny that there is a resurrection,
came forward and put this question to Jesus, saying,
"Teacher, Moses wrote for us,
If someone's brother dies leaving a wife but no child,
his brother must take the wife
and raise up descendants for his brother.

Now there were seven brothers;
the first married a woman but died childless.
Then the second and the third married her,
and likewise all the seven died childless. 
Finally the woman also died. 
Now at the resurrection whose wife will that woman be?
For all seven had been married to her."
Jesus said to them,
"The children of this age marry and remarry;
but those who are deemed worthy to attain to the coming age
and to the resurrection of the dead
neither marry nor are given in marriage.
They can no longer die,
for they are like angels;
and they are the children of God
because they are the ones who will rise. 
That the dead will rise
even Moses made known in the passage about the bush,
when he called 'Lord'
the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob;
and he is not God of the dead, but of the living,
for to him all are alive." 
Some of the scribes said in reply,
"Teacher, you have answered well."
And they no longer dared to ask him anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...