Monday, November 13, 2017

Forgiveness and Faith


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/111317.cfm) reminds me that forgiveness and faith go hand in hand.

We base our perception of others on different things. We consider their past actions. We watch them how they act. And we consider how they treat others and what others say about them. Good thing God does not act that way. God sees us a lot better than we see ourselves. God sees not only our past or current state, but more importantly, he sees what we can become if we allow Him to work in and through us. He sees not only the challenges we went through and sins we have committed, but also the goodness in us...current and potential goodness. 

It is hard forgive, especially if we are hurt by people closest to us. That is why when Jesus taught about forgiveness, his disciples asked him to help them forgive. What Jesus is asking from us, to always be ready to forgive, is not easy. Yet he asks it nonetheless…because he has faith in us, in our goodness, in our capacity to forgive.

And the Apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith.”
The Lord replied, “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed,
you would say to this mulberry tree,
‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.”


The disciples asked Jesus to help them forgive, to increase their faith. Jesus said if we have faith the size of a mustard seed, then we can move mountains. 

Really, that small faith is enough?

I used to think that yes, that probably is enough. However, some say that it becomes enough not because the requirement is small, but because of God.

God has faith in us! 

It is his faith in us that increases the power of our little faith. It is his faith in us, our capacity to do good, our capacity to do great things through him, our capacity to love and to forgive, that enables us to do so, to move mountains, to forgive others even when we are deeply hurt, to love others the way Jesus wants us to. Yes, I believe that it is not just our faith, but God’s faith in us, that enables our mustard seed sized faith to do great things.

When we refuse to forgive, we are choosing to love ourselves more than we love God. We are choosing to hold on to the hurt and pain others caused us. But faith changes that. Having faith is trusting that God sees everything, and that God has a plan for everyone. He can heal us and make us whole. That is why forgiveness becomes easier because we have faith that as we do, God will continue to take care of us. 

May we make the decision to forgive, not because we are not hurt, but because God asks us and that we have faith that God will heal us and be with us in the journey. And May we not be disheartened by our little faith. May we pray that God increase our faith and do our part to increase it. And while we wait, may we do our part and allow Him to, and trust in Him that he will add to whatever little faith we have.


Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another week. Thank you for all the blessings you have been giving me. Thank your the reminder. Lord, sorry for the times I refuse to follow you. Sorry for refusing to forgive. Sorry for loving myself more than I love you. Lord, Help me forgive others. Help me focus on you and your love, not on myself and my hurts. I pray that you continue to increase my faith in you, your love and your goodness. And while you are in the process of increasing my faith, I ask that you continue to complement my faith, and continue to have faith in me. Your faith in me increases the power of my little faith, and I pray that as I continuously experience your love and faith in me, my faith will slowly and eventually increase as well. Amen.


Blessed Week!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 


November 13, 2017
Memorial of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini, Virgin
Lectionary: 491




Reading 1WIS 1:1-7


Love justice, you who judge the earth;
think of the Lord in goodness,
and seek him in integrity of heart;
Because he is found by those who test him not, 
and he manifests himself to those who do not disbelieve him.
For perverse counsels separate a man from God,
and his power, put to the proof, rebukes the foolhardy;
Because into a soul that plots evil, wisdom enters not,
nor dwells she in a body under debt of sin.
For the holy Spirit of discipline flees deceit
and withdraws from senseless counsels;
and when injustice occurs it is rebuked.
For wisdom is a kindly spirit,
yet she acquits not the blasphemer of his guilty lips;
Because God is the witness of his inmost self
and the sure observer of his heart
and the listener to his tongue.
For the Spirit of the Lord fills the world,
is all-embracing, and knows what man says.


Responsorial PsalmPS 139:1B-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-10


R. (24b) Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.
O LORD, you have probed me and you know me;
you know when I sit and when I stand;
you understand my thoughts from afar.
My journeys and my rest you scrutinize,
with all my ways you are familiar.
R. Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O LORD, you know the whole of it.
Behind me and before, you hem me in
and rest your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
too lofty for me to attain.
R. Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.
Where can I go from your spirit?
From your presence where can I flee?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I sink to the nether world, you are present there.
R. Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.
If I take the wings of the dawn,
if I settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
Even there your hand shall guide me,
and your right hand hold me fast.
R. Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way.



AlleluiaPHIL 2:15D, 16A

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Shine like lights in the world,
as you hold on to the word of life.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.


GospelLK 17:1-6


Jesus said to his disciples,
"Things that cause sin will inevitably occur,
but woe to the one through whom they occur. 
It would be better for him if a millstone were put around his neck
and he be thrown into the sea
than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin.
Be on your guard!
If your brother sins, rebuke him;
and if he repents, forgive him.
And if he wrongs you seven times in one day 
and returns to you seven times saying, 'I am sorry,'
you should forgive him."

And the Apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith."
The Lord replied, "If you have faith the size of a mustard seed,
you would say to this mulberry tree,
'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...