Friday, November 30, 2012

You Want Faith?


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/113012.cfm) encourages me not just to pray, but to work as well to increase my faith.
In the movie Evan Almighty, there is a quote that goes:
Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other? (see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413099/quotes)
I believe this goes true for faith as well. A lot of people, myself included, pray for faith. We want faith that is strong, a faith that moves mountains, faith that heals, etc. We want that, and we pray for it. Then what? We wait for a magical increase in faith? I believe that God does not give us a magical increase of faith just by praying. Rather, he gives us opportunities to develop and strengthen our faith.
Does this mean we should not pray for faith? Of course not! We should continue to pray for faith, but we should also be ready to work for that. The reading says one way we can improve our faith: “Thus faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of ChristIn other translation it says that “faith comes from hearing, and hearing the WORD of Christ.” We also have to do our part, we also have to pray, read the bible, get to know him more, and this will help us develop and strengthen our faith. We should not be waiting for God to give us what we pray for if we ourselves are not willing to work for it and do our part.
May we be inspired by the faith of the disciples, who, when called by Christ, immediately left everything and followed Jesus.
Do I pray for faith? Am I willing to work to increase my faith? Do I do my part to increase my faith? What other things am I praying for? Am I just waiting for God to grant me my prayers, or do I do my part as well?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for an extra day to rest. Thank you for always knowing what we need, and giving us just that. Lord, I ask that today, I not only rest and refresh my body, but may I also work to build and strengthen my faith. Help me make the most out of today to spend time with you, to read your WORD, to get to know you more, for I know these things will help me strengthen my faith. Amen.

Blessed Friday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...