Thursday, November 15, 2012

Be Refreshed After Working


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/111512.cfm) reminds me that God will give us rest and will refresh us as we work for Him.

Work-Life balance is important. In the first company I worked it, this balance was given much importance. The company had high standards and expectations on the employees, but were supportive and encouraged a good work life balance. Employees were given opportunities to relax, such as free movie nights, different company sponsored clubs and activities, as well as sports events. They know that just as it is important to work hard, it is just as important to relax and get time to be refreshed to continue the work being done.

Before we can relax, we should work first. Before we are rewarded, we should do our part first. Jesus knew this, that is why he said in the gospel that “but he must first suffer…” before God’s plan can come into completion, before Jesus could rest and be one with the Father again, he must first suffer. He must first work and do God’s will. He must first do his part. Saint Paul, in the first reading, knows this as well. Since his conversion, he worked tirelessly for the Lord. In his old age, he knew there was a reward for all his work for God.

In this busy world, we should remember to also work for God. There are many distractions nowadays, and it is easy to get lost and lose our focus on God. Even if we work for God, things will not be easy. It will be hard and challenging, just like Christ and all God’s servants experienced. It will be tiring, but we are to seek comfort in the fact that as we work for God, he will reward us and refresh us. No work will be futile if done for God.

Do I give importance to work-life balance? Do I balance things between work in the sense of the world, and working for God? Do I give time to work for God’s kingdom, or am I distracted and busy in the world? When experiencing hardships and challenges, how do I react? Do I continue and trust that God will refresh me, reward me? Or do I give up?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me that my work for you is not in vain, that you would continue to refresh me and reward me. Lord, I ask that you give me a heart for service. May I never be too busy or too tired to serve you. May I work tirelessly in building your kingdom, and if I get tired, may I say what St Paul said in the first reading – Refresh my heart in Christ.”

God bless!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...