Friday, November 16, 2012

Will He Find Faith?


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/111712.cfm) encourages me to work on my faith in God.

When we don’t get what we want, we do not always take it in a positive way. Sometimes we get angry, depressed or frustrated. Sometimes we just want to be away from anything and everything. Not everyone can deal with frustrations well. The widow in the gospel is the opposite of that. Just like the blind man (See reflection http://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-blind-mans-clear-and-unwavering-faith.html ), the widow did not lose hope when she initially did not get what she wanted. She could have easily gave up, thinking that the judge do not fear God or man, and the fact that she is a widow, means she was not significant in their society in those days. However, we see her faith, we see her perseverance in doing what she does until she gets what she wants.

As followers of Christ, no matter how much God loves us, he will not give everything to us as we pray for it. He will not take away challenges, he will not take away opportunities for us to learn and grow, even if these things would be painful for us. God wants us to grow and mature, and he wants us to persevere and develop our faith, especially when things are not easy. I believe that God, the teacher, do not stop giving challenges until the lesson is learned.

We should develop a heart of faith. We should learn how to keep praying even if God may seem distant. We should not give up easily on our faith, because we know that God will never give up on us. God’s silence does not mean he’s not there, sometimes he just wants us to look deeper, to listen more intently and to seek Him with all of our hearts.

Do I sometimes feel that God does not listen to my prayers? Do I feel his silence in my life? What do I do, do I persevere in prayer or do I give up on God easily? How can I strengthen my faith in God? Do I realize that when I pray for faith, God does necessarily give me faith, but rather, opportunities to build and strengthen my faith?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for this weekend. Lord, personally I feel tired. It’s been a long and busy week, but I take comfort in the fact that you appreciate everything I do for you, and that all my efforts done for you will be used by you. I ask Father that you help me strengthen my faith. May I be like the widow who does not stop, even if my prayers seem to fall on deaf ears, because I know Lord that your silence does not mean you are not listening. May I seek you deeper, and may I use these opportunities to develop my faith and strengthen my relationship with you. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...