Saturday, November 10, 2012

More Than The Value


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/111012.cfm) reminds me to look beyond the physical value of things

In the gospel, we see Jesus saying that one cannot serve God and money at the same time. You cannot claim to serve God and do whatever you can to get a lot of money. You cannot serve God wholeheartedly if at the back of your mind, you are thinking how you can get rich, losing your focus on God.

In the first reading, we see Saint Paul excited and happy because of the generosity of the Philippians. These people have constantly helped him wherever he may be. They have provided what he needs to survive and continue his mission. Saint Paul was not happy because of the supplies he received, but more so because of the hearts of the people. He was happy because the people were generous, cheerfully giving to people in need. He was excited not with what he will receive from the people, but with what mighty deed God will do to those people willing to give of themselves, happily serving God by reaching out to others.

Less than a month ago, our community had a fundraising activity. We raised a good amount of money. I was personally happy, not because of the amount we raised, but more so because of how the people worked together for God. It was a blessing to see different kinds of people, with different backgrounds and attitudes, serving God and giving of their time, talent and treasure for His kingdom. IT was not a walk in the park, there were a lot of challenges, but by God’s grace, I believe it brought out the best in people. It was also great to see people helping out, being generous for God’s purpose. This is what God wants us to have – hearts that are willing to share of themselves to build God’s kingdom.

What is my perception of wealth? Is it something I badly want, doing anything and everything to accumulate lots of it? Is it something I want, because I know that the more I have, the more I can help other people? How is God calling me to give of my time, talent and treasure for His Kingdom?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me to look beyond the physical value of things. Lord, I am sorry for the times I lose my focus on you, and allow myself to be distracted by the world and all its concerns. Lord, I ask that you give me a heart that would desire to serve you with what I’ve got, that would desire to have more, not for myself, but so that I can give more to others for your glory. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...